• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

blown motor/replacing with used motor

bluefire808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
First off this is my first forum i have ever joined period. i have tried to find a answer and cant. be gentle on me! hahaha

i have a 2001 mazda B300 2wd 5speed manual. ( mazda is same as ranger except body styles i have read ). i blew the motor up because of low oil level ( made me so sad! ). now i have to buy a used motor ( i live in hawaii and will have to get one sent to me ). my question, is a 2001 3.0 the only motor that will work with my ECU and all other items of that sort? or is there any other year motors that will work with my ECU? i dont even know the names all all the computer things that make a motor work, is it just a ECU? i heard of different wiring harnesses also? im a bit lost here and just need a new motor in this truck and am hoping instead of having to find the same exact year motor to match up with all my other components that there may be a few other years i can choose from to have a few more options when buying a used motor. SUPER THANKS IN ADVANCE for helping me out!
Aloha my bradda's

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
You will most likely have to swap over harnesses and sensors (if going from a manual to automatic or auto to manual).

You can always check on Rockauto and hit the part number for your engine. That will bring up the years and models/makes that should be compatible with yours. It shouldn't be to hard to do.

One note: Turn the engine over a couple of times in the direction of rotation only. You want to ensure the engine isn't seized up and rotates somewhat freely. It will have (if the plugs are left in the heads) several moments where it's hard to turn for the compression strokes. That's normal. But it shouldn't hit one spot and totally hang up.

Also plan on doing any gaskets that look suspect. Never be a better time then while the engine is out of the vehicle.

Others will have comments.....

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals