• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ford Ranger FX4 LVII Build

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone. I purchased my first vehicle back in march of 2017 after joining the marine corps . I thought I it was a regular 2004 ford ranger XLT 4x4. But after doing some researching and looking at axle tags and part numbers, I learned that it was an FX4 LVII. It has the chrome shifter, two tone seats, skid plates all over, 31 spline torsen rear diff. I took the truck wheeling a few times and learned what I wanted to do to make it better. The last owner put in a freshly rebuild 4.0 SOHC. So no engine stuff in the near future expect for possibly a supercharger. But first suspension and axle upgrades first. Also please let me know if the pictures aren't working.

Current Modifications:

- 3 inch fiberglass fenders
- Rear disc brake conversion
- 33x12.5r15 on 15x8
- Front 1.5 inch wheel spacer
- MRBP Turndown Stainless Steel Exhaust
- Truck Bed Toolbox from LOWES
- Sun Visor(installed by previous owner)

Here is a picture from when I first bought the truck:

Last edited:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So after buying it I wanted to do a c-clip eliminator on it but after taking some measurements I believe the an explorer eliminator kit will not work due to the axle shafts being different lengths. However I did not that the axle offset and axle flange on the rear allowed me to do a explorer disc brake swap. So i went to the junk yard picked up the backing plates bought the rest of the hardware at advance auto parts. Which includes brake caliper, hoses, lines, parking brake hardware and pads, rotors, pads, and all the other bolts to install it. To do this I had to remove the axles, which allowed me to confirm this truck has a torsen diff in it. I replaced the backing plates install all of the caliper, hoses, rotors, pads etc. After this I bent my own hard line up. They worked great have yet to install the parking brake stuff, however i did modify the explorer parking brake cable to fit. Just need to install it on each. I found my backing plates were rubbing. Had to beat those into submission to allow for no rubbing. Next was wheel, tires and fenders.

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are the tires and fenders. I got 33x12.5r15 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 mud terrains mount of pro comp 15x8 rims with 3.75 inches of backspacing. I also run 1.5 inch wheel spacers on the front from spidertrax to stop rubbing since this is with only a slight T-Bar crank.

Here are the tires in the truck bed:

Last edited:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I knew they would not fit under the front fenders but would under the back; I set to remove the front fenders and to install them as i waited for the fiberglass fenders. I got 3 inch bulge fiberglass fenders from McNeil racing. They took about 3 weeks to get to me because I am located on the east coast. Also in NC they don't care about fenders covering the full width of the tires. So being with fenders was no big deal.

Here is the install of tires and wheel spacers without fenders:

Where I had to trim the bumper on each side:

Last edited:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fenders removed and in my storage unit:

Last edited:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The day I received the fiberglass fenders in my Barracks room:

Last edited:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mounting with the el cheapo harbor freight drill. Still need to align the hood and paint them. Debating on sending them to get color mathced at a paint job or just doing a good rattle can job. Siding towards the ladder. Suggestions?

Mounted fenders:

Last edited:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plans for the future:

-Full Size Spare mounted flat in the bed
-do not plan to carry the spare all the time
-Powertank PT10 package B installed in the truck bed
-Harbor Freight Jack mounted in the bed
-Front and rear tubular bumpers with hitch in the rear
-Tubular rock silders
-Front Torsen L/S diff
-Custom manual transfer case shifter conversion
-Still working out the final bit of design work
-Fiberglass rear bedside(maybe)
- When wheeling hard at full bump I can begin to rub and start to tear of fender
flares

I go wheeling about twice a month either on beaches or out in central NC. I don't have any long terms plans yet just saving money. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Also please let me know if the pictures aren't working. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Well the truck looks very nice in its stock form. As in good paint no dents etc. So if you want to keep that same thing goin id color match em. But if you dont care bout that just a good rattle can job would do fine.

Sent while eating tacos

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought a pro eagle 2 ton jack and mounting plate,very Nice jack. It has a built in skid plate and still rolls around on concrete. I mounted it in the back left side of the bed and keep the jack handle in the toolbox.

Jack Mounted:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also Painted the fenders. I used Dupli-Color Prefect match spray paint. I got the same color code as my truck to best match it, also used their clear coast as well. In an attempt to make it more glossy. It turned out okay.

Pictures of the Truck with painted Fenders:

paintball4864

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I have done a lot recently. I rebuilt my entire rear end (all new bearings and seals). I had to put new u joints in my drive shaft. And built front and rear bumpers for the truck. I also installed a winch and built some rock silders(yet to install). And today I broke my transmission and transfer case well driving on the highway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals