• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying a Ranger for my son

SamsDad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So the boy's saved his money and wants a Ranger in the worst way. I can't say as I blame him, I had a 2005 and loved it.

Anyways, we're looking at a 1999 XLT with 108K miles, it looks pretty good but the dash lights don't work and the column gear indicator doesn't work. Are there any deeper implications to these problems, and about how much does it cost to have them repaired?

More generally, what problems should we look for in a late '90's early 2000 Ranger?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
So the boy's saved his money and wants a Ranger in the worst way. I can't say as I blame him, I had a 2005 and loved it.

Anyways, we're looking at a 1999 XLT with 108K miles, it looks pretty good but the dash lights don't work and the column gear indicator doesn't work. Are there any deeper implications to these problems, and about how much does it cost to have them repaired?

More generally, what problems should we look for in a late '90's early 2000 Ranger?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19690

I hear the dash bulbs can be a pain, but they're doable. Not sure on the gear indicator, but probably something simple, and you'll be in the neighborhood when you get after the bulbs.

Giving a young man a truck is good...giving him a truck that needs a little work here and there is better. The more he works on it, the more he will learn in general, and the more he will appreciate his vehicle in particular. Aside from the occasional frustration, I think everyone here at TRS loves their Rangers. I'm on my second one myself, a 1998 4.0 XLT with over 240K, running strong.

Good luck with your Ranger!

SOAD4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
well... this probably won't explode.
^ I couldn't agree more. When I was 16, I got a 94 XLT with a couple minor issues. over the past 7 years owning that truck, I've learned SO much about how to repair/ maintain/ modify my truck and I love it more and more through the years! I'm gonna be installing a body lift on it soon and look forward to it! All this to say, I think it's a great idea to get a truck that needs some work. I would have never learned anything had I gotten a new truck.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Passaroo in my opinion, unless your son is quite a wrench already. Getting into the dash and doing shift/column work is not something for a beginner to tackle. But if it's in good shape otherwise and you intend to help him pay to get those basic problems sorted out then it all comes down to price. Boys want what boys want, but also try to teach him the value of shopping around in these situations to get the best deal.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I know nothing about Ranger electrics. But could this be as easy as a blown fuse for the dash lights?

Ranger302Boss

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I agreed whit Bmerr98, your son will apreciate more his truck after work a little on it.

Send from my Moto X using Tapatalk

SamsDad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your input guys. We passed on this Ranger. It wasn't a question of the gear indicator not working, the gearshift barely worked. It was very difficult to shift into drive, reverse, neutral; basically the whole shift mechanism was hosed. I sensed trainwreck even though the seller said it was "only $200 to fix".

Also, a front end collision with a wrinkled hood and a replacement fender with a poor attempt at matching paint.

A good lesson for my son, both in patience and recognizing what to walk away from.

The hunt continues...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Up there you will also want to take a good look at the frame. Rust has a habit of eating away the shackles and/or hangar on the rear leaf springs.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The indicator is probably fairly easy. The needle is in a spring to return, and a little nylon string to pull it along. If it just stays in park the string is probably broken. Either way, it's about a $50 part for a new PRNDL piece, and about 10 minutes to put it in. Really easy. Release two clips from the bottom of the cluster (you are gonna be there checking bulbs anyway) and unhook the string. Super easy.

Honestly, anyone who spent a childhood playing with Legos and who has a pair of stones in their sack can do parts replacement on a Ranger.

Dash lights probably aren't anything really scary either. Maybe harder to figure out if you aren't good with electrical, but not scary.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
adsm08 said:
Honestly, anyone who spent a childhood playing with Legos and who has a pair of stones in their sack can do parts replacement on a Ranger.
:icon_rofl:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If anybody cares, I have successfully replaced that string with fishing line.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If anybody cares, I have successfully replaced that string with fishing line.
I don't doubt it. That string is brown fishing line.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals