• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First time posting, some questions.

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well I'm the unlucky err I mean proud owner of a 1994 Ranger XL I paid 400 for.

Purple is the color, hence my username.

Well I'd like some information..

1. How hard is it to replace the rear cab mounts, and can they be found?

2. There is a rust spot on the bed, on the front of it, near the bottom, can that panel be purchased?

3. Will bucket seats bolt into a truck that had bench seats, and if so, what is needed?

4. This truck oddly has a rubber floor, and no air conditioning, I thought A/C and carpet was standard in 1994?

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also, what causes the bumper sag, such as shown in this photo?

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I'm the unlucky err I mean proud owner of a 1994 Ranger XL I paid 400 for.

Purple is the color, hence my username.

Well I'd like some information..

1. How hard is it to replace the rear cab mounts, and can they be found?

2. There is a rust spot on the bed, on the front of it, near the bottom, can that panel be purchased?

3. Will bucket seats bolt into a truck that had bench seats, and if so, what is needed?

4. This truck oddly has a rubber floor, and no air conditioning, I thought A/C and carpet was standard in 1994?

1. try rockauto i found some on there never replaced myself so don't know how hard to replace

2. don't know about panels How bad is the rust

3. don't see why not seats and rails would be needed off the top of my head haven't done this either as my ranger came with buckets...

4. keep rubber floor much easier to clean don't think A/C was standard but Don't know for sure you should be able to find parts on rock auto and JY to add A/C

5. as for bumper loosen and reposition to desired position

hope this helps

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, what he said...

As well, the cab mounts can be bought and replaced if you have a few tools...grinder, drill, punch, and patience...you would need to buy the mounts from an auto supply store as well as suitable bolts and nuts...my 96 requires one rear cab mount that I'm not looking forward to removing...and you will also need to replace the body mount bolts which should be grade 8 quality...

Here is what I would suggest...closely inspect the frame and spring mounts also...if the cab mount is gone...the spring mounts are likely going if they haven't been replaced...when I bought my 96 the previous owner had already replaced the spring mounts on the passenger side...so it can be done quite easily...removing the box for that is best...and you may find the box is in greater need of attention than one small spot...if you are fortunate!

Be prepared to do plenty of grinding and cleaning of metal if you want this project to last more than a few years...some people are Ranger Owners for Life...(ROFL)...and the thing that keeps us laughing is they are such great trucks...it's what destroys them that is not so laughable...

Anyway...welcome to TRS...nice colour...did you know that Purple is one of God's favourite colours? Well, probably because way back when there weren't too many options available...:) but everything had to be either Blue, Purple, or Red...

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Was ABS an option in '94?

I can't find an abs unit, and the lines just go right into the hoses for the calipers.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!

I can't find an abs unit, and the lines just go right into the hoses for the calipers.
Four wheel ABS did not become an option until 1995 but rear wheel ABS was an option on 1994, air conditioning was not standard and a Ranger could be bought without it. If you want to install air conditioning I think you still have the mounting bracket for the compressor on the serpentine system, don't quote me on that. Be careful when correcting your bumper, make sure to spray all of those bolts down with PB blaster because they will be rusted on hard. I own a 1994 myself, I'm certainly no expert but I've screwed up enough with mine already to know plenty of things that shouldn't be done. Good luck and welcome to TRS!

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

i think rear ABS was standard but don't know for sure

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Four wheel ABS did not become an option until 1995 but rear wheel ABS was an option on 1994, air conditioning was not standard and a Ranger could be bought without it. If you want to install air conditioning I think you still have the mounting bracket for the compressor on the serpentine system, don't quote me on that. Be careful when correcting your bumper, make sure to spray all of those bolts down with PB blaster because they will be rusted on hard. I own a 1994 myself, I'm certainly no expert but I've screwed up enough with mine already to know plenty of things that shouldn't be done. Good luck and welcome to TRS!
what rust on bumper bolts :D:icon_confused:? at least here in arizona there was no rust when i did mine

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I degreased the engine bay today.

There is a charcol canister mounted on the inner fender by the radiation on the driver's side.

The big hose came loose, near the firewall.

I looked and looked, and cannot for the life of me find where it went.

traacer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We brine our roads every winter, rust free cars don't exist up here... :bawling:

I know used to live in Rockford Illinois and the only rust free cars were either new or put into storage in the winter. but i moved to Arizona and haven't seen snow brine salt or rusty cars since:D and that makes me very happy:D and warm:D lol

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The cab bushings are easy to install. I just did mine today, at home with a floor jack and hand tools. Took about 3 hours total, that includes time to move crap out of truck and chase toddler through yard. My stuff came apart much easier than I expected too.

As said, doing the brackets is more involved, but still not a huge chore.

Purple

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking at the dash, under the passenger side, and on the firewall, is what looks like a temp sensor.

I can't see such a thing, being it's manual controls.

It has 2-3 wires going to it, and that's it.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
The Rat is a '94 XLT big cab. It has a 5 spd, manual seats, windows and locks , no AC. It doesnt get locked and the windows and rear slider do fine. It has some sort of ABS that doesn't work. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals