• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

to prothane or not to prothane that is the question

12step

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So here's what I got I have a 97 ranger single cab short box . I also have a set of djm dream beams a set of dropleafs front and rear sway bars and a prothane kit . My question is after the drop and new swaybars and new drop shocks will the profane kit make my ride overly harsh I have had a dropped truck before just like this one with dream beams and a flip kit and it was great had decent ride quality . This is my only vehicle I don't want to do something i will regret also do they tend to squeak more than regular bushings

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I don't remember any squeaking with my poly bushings in my dream beams... I also have poly radius arm bushings; they haven't made any noise. So far, with everything that I did to my ranger, the ride was more pleasant with poly. I don't like having a perfectly smooth ride, it makes me feel unsafe (if you can relate... )

Also, I greased the surfaces where it pivoted before putting them in. I also put enough in to make sure the bolt didn't get rusted out bad. Thank goodness for pressed nuts and long breaker bars!

12step

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I know what you mean about feeling unsafe. my truck needs new shocks at the moment and just feels like it kind of wallows up and down the road. I like for everything to be tight . I am just worried that with the kit I have it replaces all bushing even cab mount bushings i don't want to feel every pot hole in the road this is my daily driver and I like to road trip it 4 hours to the beach every once in a while I would like these trips to be pleasant. Because my wife dosent need another reason to hate my truck

12step

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with installing the whole kit and how the truck felt afterward thanks in advanced for any help

JoshT

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can tell you in a year or two. I'll be installing beams, and all poly bushings as my truck goes back together. That is to include the cab mounts, sway bars, and leaf springs as well, hell IIRC even the mount bushings on these Edlebrock IAS shocks are poly. Unfortunately I don't think you want to wait that long to find out. Course I got nothing to compare to since truck didn't run when I got it.

12step

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I am trying to have her dropped by the end of the month. I talked to a coworker today who builds drag cars he said he has used the poly bushing in about twelve different cars and he said they usually end up squeaking and that they would make my two wheel drive ride like a 4 wheel drive.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I would think that polybushings would hold up better on 2WD vehicles...nothing beats poly for tightening up a suspension......but nothing beats rubber bushings for absorbing vibrations...when I order my DJM beams, I'll use the polybushings provided...unless they're just plain too rough.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals