• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l dies when i put it in gear

bert0427

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2.9l used engine recently installed and I just got it to run and I havnt been able to put a timing light on It yet, I have only done the timing the best I could by turning the distributor. the engine is running ( not great) but I was going to move the truck to a different spot and when I put the engine in gear, any gear, it dies (boggs down then dies).... its a automatic transmission A4LD . is this another problem or is it just because my engine isn't timed right?

jhammel85

It could be the timing. If its put in gear and dies it could be because it puts a load on the engine and it dies. Have you tried putting it on jack stands and putting it in gear? The only other thing I can think of might be the torque converter locking up or something. It clicked into place twice right?

bert0427

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I got the timing better and it still dose the same thing... I don't know what u mean when u say click twice ... when I installed the engine? or when I put it in gear is it suppose to click twice? when I installed the engine all I did was get the flex plate to line up with studs on the torque converter .... also some info on whats going on if I give the engine throttle while putting it in gear it will drive then, but I got to put the transmission into neutral before coming to a complete stop or it will die... thanks for your feed back and please understand I am learning lol.

deathcyte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You torque converter clutch is locked up, that's why it dies when you put it in gear.
Why did you change the engine?

bert0427

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the engine bc the old one lost compression... also I drove the truck yesterday the transmission is fine now im not sure why but its working fine... I cant accelerate fast tho I have to do it really slow and steady I think its bc my fuel pressure is low... the in-tank fuel pump isn't working now and I think betwwen that and the timing that's why the engine was dieing when I put it in gear but now the timing is better I think I just got fix the in-tank fuel pump.. thanks for everbodys input also and please let me know if I should check something else or if I could rig up something bc I aint going to have the money for a fuel pump for a while

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals