• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Leak

SilverStreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Got a 2003 Ranger with the Duratec 2.3 4 banger. Over time it has some days where it wants to spurt out some coolant. I think I've narrowed it down to what I think is a heater hose. On my engine, it is on the right hand side. There are two hoses that come off the firewall, and 2 or 3 others that tie into the other 2 at a junction box (not really sure what to call it, forgive me). The hose that comes out of the bottom, past the exhaust manifold (has silver heat shield wrap on it) and to a plastic tee. Both ends have hose clamps so it should be able to be removed.
I've been reading about a coolant tee leaking on these motors, but it appears to not be leaking there. I noticed some coolant on the exhaust manifold so it has to be a leak up slightly higher. I don't have a pressure tester at the moment but may invest in one soon.

If it is the hose, where can I get one (other than a junkyard). Or can I just use some heater hose and hopefully get away with it?

SilverStreak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just went and bought a pressure tester... leak is actually right at that junction box I mentioned. From doing some research, it must be the heater control valve? I think it was replaced by the PO before, but I'll have to go back and check. Glad to finally find where the old bastard was leaking :beer:

Zillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just went and bought a pressure tester... leak is actually right at that junction box I mentioned. From doing some research, it must be the heater control valve? I think it was replaced by the PO before, but I'll have to go back and check. Glad to finally find where the old bastard was leaking :beer:
Yep. Heater control valve.

Mine blew apart on me on 295 in Jersey 1 hour after buying the truck... that was a fun 'get to know your Ranger' adventure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals