• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long Term '87 Ranger 4x4 Project Build Thread

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Needs to run a bit too be sure, a few cranks wont do the job. The crack, if any, would let very little exhaust gas pressure into the system that would be small bubbles you can see when running with the cap off.

jhammel85

Yeah I know, I thought of that too last night. I turned it over for a very long time and tried to get as much compression going as possible. I also figure that heat might also open the crack up more if the head is truely cracked.

Since im still not completely sold, im going to rent a block tester. That's really the only real definitive way that i can think of really finding if there's a head crack or not. If that test comes back negative, I'm good to go.

Last edited:

jhammel85

Passed further testing....Looks like we're good to go on the Intake Gasket. I plan to take care of it soon.

I'll post up progress pics and update what's found.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You know, 4.0 swaps are getting easier and popular :tease: :icon_thumby:

SVT

jhammel85

I know. It's tough! I'd love to but money's pretty tight right now (wife is currently out of work). Frankly, in a perfect world, it'd have a V8. Especially Fuel Injected. Let's hope that or a 4.0 happens one day. For now, the old truck just needs to get me to and fro.

If I did a 4.0, the First Gen dash has to stay. Chances are, I could find a 4.0 and harness r for about as much as a junkyard 2.9...and who wants to do that? I'd be willing to gamble on my old A4LD but get a 4.0 trans lined up if I could. The one that's in it is an '85 and I have no idea if it was rebuilt or anything. I highly doubt it based on the previous owners love affair with the junkyard. I found lots of receipts for things that I wouldn't of gotten from a junkyard

Last edited:

jhammel85

Not much new to report. Did its job this winter coming and going to work. I haven't done anything about the intake yet. Its definitely not much. I top off my radiator once a month with only a small bit of coolant. Nothing on the dipstick but oil changesvdo show a tiny bit. Not much at all but it needs to be done.

Picking up doors this weekend, hopefully. Its looking like I'll get a new daily in July so I can finally park this and dig in a bit.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I feel ya, my truck just sits anymore. Funds and time are low to fix her.

jhammel85

Mine just drives itself to work and back (60 miles or so). Frankly its really stupid to drive it with the intake leaking but...meh. Its got 200k on it and plenty of power but once I've got the money and time another engine and trans is going in.

Funds have been a big problem as to why I haven't touched it. My wife was unemployed just after I finished the bodywork. My idea of working on it all winter and painting nowish didn't happen but that's how projects work. I just want wait to really dig into this thing.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same with mine, want to do some body work and other little things. I'm the only income in the house of my fiancee, child and me. Don't trust a baby sitter but also the cost of one wouldn't be worth it. I'm only a two mile drive to work.

jhammel85

Yeah I actually wonder what the fate is of this old thing. Not that I plan to sell or anything..We're expecting our second kid! So with my wife working a new full time job, me working full time, spending time with them and working around the house on the usual stuff, I don't know if I'll get to this thing as soon as I'd like. I know you know kids are a handful and very busy. So it might get pieced together here and there after it's a second car. I'm fine with that.

As far as body work, the main stuff so far is that rotten corner, the other bedside wheel arch, hood and passenger side fender. Easy parts to find and kind of cheap. The biggest issue, That I know of, is the firewall and the inside section where the gutter rotted out for the cowl. The usual 1st gen problem. I also worry about the little spots here and there on my fire wall and I worry about the area around the brakebooster since it feels a little soft. I'm sure you've seen that post someone put up a few years ago where their foot went with the booster when the firewall ripped out of it due to rust. So yeah, The cab will come off and lots of welding and patching will be done. Some idiot before me just seam sealed all of that. Once again, the previous owner struck.

I plan to dig into it a bit more but if it's too far gone, it's too far gone. I already had to deal with a hole in the frame and the cab has many, many bad rust spots.
Rotten or not, I'm still not disappointed in a $1,200 truck I bought 5 years ago that's sitting in my works parking lot as we speak, diligently doing it's duty.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to get on the rust on mine, core support is starting to go.

jhammel85

I need to get on the rust on mine, core support is starting to go.
Yeah my brother in laws truck is the same. Doesn't look too bad of a job.

Here's some of the problem areas on my firewall. I found this junk under the awesome job someone did with using gasket maker as a seam sealer. The blue stuff...Anyway, My welder and I will be busy once everything is out one day. I know it's possible with flux but I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a MIG more and more. Plus I cant stand my cheap POS that I use now. This is probably the worst rust I've found so far. A little disheartening but...thats a project for ya. new cab might be needed. might be worth to get one just to patch these spots.

Dont mind the awful looking steering shaft and it's crapped out bearing, that things going soon:

It's too bad this one is blurry but this is the worst of the worst. The wall is soft in that area. Water has been coming inside so I'm assuming it's rotted through so both pieces of steel on each side of the cab are rotten. Water is probably going in between where they sandwich and rotting. GREAT....I'll get a better picture.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Surprisingly my firewall isn't rusting...but it having a coat of oil everywhere under the hood helps prevent that too lol.

jhammel85

I dug into the spots of the firewall where they used seamsealer. This is what I found...not too happy about this but I'm hoping I can fix it with some sheet metal but in don't know. I won't know exactly until the dash and all is removed. If the cowling is as bad as this seems to be, I might be screwed. Rust has really gotten me bad on this truck..its starting to make me think of how far I really want to take this..I can deal with this or even get another cab but that's already part of a huge list of stuff to do. Another body, bed and all would make much more sense but I dont know... Well have to see I guess.

The yellow is the padding on the other side of the firewall

More seam sealer..oh boy...by the way, see the line of rust there? Its separated here ad there by the rust so that needs to be dealt with.

One more by the heater box. This was wet so you can bet the damn gutter is rotten here too..

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your truck is falling apart at the seams.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals