• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Bronco 2 power window doesn't roll up

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Has power windows, driver's window works now after repairing some wiring, passenger window still has some wiring issues but found out yesterday that suddenly the window won't roll up even though I can hear the motor running, now what's going on?

Any tricks on easily working on these windows and motor units? Looks like Ford had the dumb idea to rivet the damn motors in.

If I could find a B2 with the same color I'd swap to doors with manual windows/locks LOL.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Regulator gear is probably stripped at the bottom

Pull off the door panel and lift up on the window while pushing the UP button, it should catch and then roll up the rest of the way

DO NOT try to grab the window with pliers, to lift it, the glass WILL SHATTER, it's tempered glass.

If regulator gear is stripped then you will need to replace it, but for now you can put a block of wood in the bottom of the door so window can't roll down all the way, this will prevent it getting stuck at the bottom again.

Yes, all door regulators are riveted in, manual or power, you need to drill them out and replace them with bolts/nuts, I use nyloc nuts so they don't loosen up

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Thanks RonD. I'll look at it tomorrow morning before it starts getting hot. Can the gear itself be replaced possibly, or a whole new motor? Thinking new motor since I'll have to take everything apart anyhow.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, the "gear" on the regulator is not replaceable separately.....but if you have a welder............you may be able to rebuild teeth

The motor's gear is harder steel that the regulator so less likely to be the problem

LMC Truck parts here: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=17

If you can find it at wrecking yard then you usually get motor and regulator as one piece
1985 to 1992 are one kind, which will fit your 1988
1993 to 2012 are different and won't fit your 1988

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Kind of what I was thinking. Haven't tried rolling it back down, but it hasn't rolled itself down which I figured if the gear was damaged it would LOL. I'll leave it alone until I get parts to repair it.

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds to me like you just have a power window motor gearbox
that is worn out. Just find the the three bolts that hold your window motor in place, and drill a hole through the inside of the door in front of each bolt. Secure your window in place so it won't fall, and remove the 3 bolts holding the motor and pull the motor assembly out. Remove the 1 screw holding the gearbox cover on and remove the cover and you most likely will find ground up plastic pieces and grease. You can go to a Home depot and get 3 nylon spacers from Everbilt #595-464. UPC number on the package is 887480150087. Have the store look up that number and see if they have them. Then shave off 1/16 of an inch off the length and egg shape them lightly with sandpaper to fit.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The window was rolling up real slow prior to it stopping completely without me pulling the window up while hitting the button, so I'm leaning towards a bad motor and now the gear is just plain worn out so it just makes noise since it can't grab the gear on the regulator to move the window. So, right now I'm just in limbo waiting on payday and other projects as usual HAHA.

The Bronco 2 is now my only vehicle, sold my 2008 Toyota Tundra yesterday. Glad that is gone, now onto getting a more economical vehicle with 4 doors as I'm seeing that my mom can't get into my other truck and certainly not the bronco 2 due to space issues. Basically a caregiver now too when I'm not at work so its quite a mess of chores and appointments and that type of stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals