• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How many guys work as mobile installers

Gum-B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Just curious to see how many guys here are in the mobile electronics feild. I have been working as an installer for about 7 years. Also how many guys are MECP?

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've worked professionally as an installer for 12-years. For me personally the MECP is a waste of time. The MECP is a one tracked certification, that leaves your career choice very limited. Unless you wanna be an installer the rest of you life, I would suggest that focus your time and energy into something more productive and personally fulfilling.

Don't missunderstand, I've enjoyed the past 12 years, but its time to move on. And I practice what I preach. I currently have an Associates Degree in Electronics and Saturday I will graduate and have a Bachelors Degree in Mathematics.

The MECP, I didnt bother. If its important to you, then go for it.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I know what you mean. MECP was fine when it first started. As I'm sure ya'll know, there's WAY too many hacks out there giving installers a bad name. As for me, I just "retired" after spending the last 32 years in 12 volt. Sorry to say it, but it was a lot more fun in the old days.

Gum-B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Love hearing from other installers thanks for replying. As for the MECP i am not a fan of it, but we use it in our store because we are a nationally certified install team. Its silly but people eat it up. I have seen some hack installs done by MECP installers. As for my focus mobile electronics pays the bills i am studying criminal justice. Also i hear you on the fun of the old days. My mentor is an old timer he has over 20 years in the industry. He was the force behind the attempted union at car toys. the stories he has are great, and the techniques are amazing. I remember my self when audio was fun and exciting, now its just work, and the new cars coming out are making things harder and harder. well thanks for the response. One more question Would you let your kids if you have any go into the install profession?

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
If my son wanted work as an installer while he goes to college, I would not mind. But school comes first. My son is currently in his second year of college. I will not let him make the same mistakes that I made 30 years ago, as long as he lives in my house.

Your currently in school, good for you. Never lose sight of your goals.

We have three instaaler in our shop and none of us have MECP certification. We are all very knowledgable on the new cars and current technology. The only problem we run into occasionally is the owner, he is still living in the '80's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals