• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4L engine mounts

bcammons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How pliable are they supposed to be.
I was doing brake lines in the truck and while I was doing them I was tapping the "rubber" part of the engine mount with a screwdriver and it felt really hard.
Then I used the end of a breaker bar and when it would hit against it it made a clunk sound.
Ive got a slight grind/vibration coming from the motor or trans that has been there since I got the truck. I am figuring that the mount on the right side is probably the issues. (The truck has new brakes and bearings as well as u-joints.)
The noise gets worse when turning to the left at speed but goes away when off the throttle.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Well, could be a couple of things.

First off, the motor mounts are supposed to be that way. They are not the eraser off the back of your #2 pencil. It is still a very hard material that is supporting 400+ pounds of weight, along with vibration and torque. Soft rubber would deteriorate too quickly and cause excessive play and sloshy wiggle in the drivetrain. It needs to be this hard. Some people, when doing motor swaps, use simple 1/4" metal plates to mount their motors to their frame rails.

Secondly, that vibration that are experiencing is not from motor shakes. With torque applied, it could be your carrier/center support bearing on your driveshaft that has excessive play and causing the vibrations, or it could be from a suspension component not properly tightened down. The shaking could be from a bad wheel bearing, which could be caused by a set of bad balljoints.

Jack both of your front tires off the ground, and wiggle them to check for movement. This procedure takes too much to explain, but Google "check for bad wheel bearings & balljoints" and following those procedures.

bcammons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ill check the suspension. This truck has a one piece driveshaft so no carrier bearing.
Its just weird that full throttle you cant feel or hear/feel it, same when you left off the throttle, its just part throttle so its leaving me scratching my head on this one.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
jack it up, grab top and bottom of tire. try to wiggle the tire. as in push on the top pull on the bottom, then reverse.

the same thing on the sides of the tire. try both sides. up down play is ball joints or bearings. side to side is tie rod.

bcammons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bearings are brand new and packed well.
Like I said its only a part throttle issue and and goes away when you let off the throttle. Thats why I am thinking it is something to do with mounts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals