• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wheel bearing replacement?

Out of my mind CJ5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 93
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have looked in the tech library and can't find anything on replacing wheel bearings on a 93 4x4/ can anybody tell me how hard or long of a task this is to do?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
pretty standard, if you haven't done wheel bearings before it would take you an afternoon. If the truck has auto hubs all you need is a lug wrench, jack, pair of channel lock pliers, magnet, hammer and a bar to get the races out of the rotor.

Jack up the truck, take the tires off, pull the hub off if it didn't come with the tire, take the caliper off, take a screwdriver and a hammer and push the caliper slide pins out. take off the C clip and splined washer from the end of the axle (place all pieces on a rag in the order they came off to aid in assembly if you are unfamiliar with the setup), AUTO HUB: Find the slot in the threads of the spindle, you will see a little pin in there, wiggle the nut back and forth a little then take the magnet and stick it at the pin, if it's a strong enough magnet it should pull the pin out with a little back and forth wiggling. Once that's out thread the nut off. MANUAL HUB: Take the hub socket and remove the first nut, pull off the pinned/keyed washer then thread off the inner nut. From there the rotor just slides off, both bearings should come with it, the outer will probably fall on the ground... Pry the rear seal out, stand the rotor on the studs and evenly push the outer bearing race out with a hammer and chisel moving around the race so it pushes straight, flip the rotor over and push the inner out, you'll want to prop the rotor up on a couple 2x4's. Install the new races carefully, it's best to use a bras sway but just be nice to them, push them in until they seat against the step in the middle of the rotor hub. Grease the bearings well, put the inner bearing in then install a new rear seal, slide the rotor on the spindle then reinstall the nuts. For bearing pre load, I usually just put the outer nut (or only nut if auto hub) on by hand while spinning the rotor, once there's just enough tension to take any play out of the bearings and not enough to drag the rotor down too much I snug things down with the key on auto hub or the keyed washer on manual and put everything back together.

Someone else will probably chime in and fill any blanks...

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
with manual hubs, it will take longer to pack the bearning with grease than it will take to do the rest.

Out of my mind CJ5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 93
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
My internet went out for a few days so i just got to this message finally. Thanks for the replies

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals