• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer axle and spring swap question

stackz

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking in the tech section at the whole explorer/ranger article and it doesnt mention whether the 91-94 explorer axles are a direct drop in?

I'm wanting to go from the 86 code axle in my 96 ranger to the D4 code axle in a 94 explorer at the u-pull. basically going from a 3.73 open 7.5" to a 3.73" LS 8.8"

wanting to keep the drum brakes, no need for discs for this truck. I'm also hoping to take the leaf springs from the explorer as well as its a 4-pack vs my stock 3-pack which will help with keeping the bed level when I'm towing my boat.

can I just pop out the complete explorer rearend and pop it up under my ranger? e-brake cables and brake lines will mate up or do I need this stuff from the explorer? will the ranger shocks work with the explorer rearend?

I would just grab an axle from one of the 4x4 rangers at the u-pull but they all have open rearends :annoyed:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think you'll still need to move the spring perches from below to above the axle tube.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Using the explorer springs in a under axle configuration will drop your rear 3-4 inches. Yes every thing is basicly bolt in if you don't flip the spring mounts and use the explorer under axle springs. As for the brakes just run the disk brake set up you literally only need to hook it up and it will work. Way less work then converting it back over to drums.

Caution: the explorer rear is a little wider then the factory ranger rear end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals