• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How effective is the mustang rear disc swap?

92 5 oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
In the near future I was planning on repacking the clutch packs in my diff and one thing lead to another...here I am reading about how simple the mustang rear disc brake swap is. I often pull a boat, coupled with 32's, I wouldn't mind some extra braking power. I'd likely stay away from the cobra rears since I run 15" wheels. I searched for results, likes/dislikes, after doing the upgrade but I didn't see anything. I don't see any dislikes, I assume it's a decent upgrade but how effective is it? Is it noticeable? This is on a 98 ranger with 10" drums, FWIW.

Thanks,
Steven

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A lot of people really like them but are they comparing them to their worn out OEM brakes? Some admit not much difference but did it for the looks. Most of the braking is done by the front anyway, might start there. I'm going to try a set of street/race shoes from a '69' Mustang. Does require using a 94 Ranger backing plate but are the same shoes. I think rear disc are over rated for a street truck where heat build up is not a problem.
Dave

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
92 5 oh:

I did the swap because I was changing a leaking axle seal anyways and had to buy new drums, shoes, etc and discs are WAY easier to replace during future maintenance.*

However stopping distance with same pedal effort is much longer, >10% (makes sense - V-6 Mustang rotors are only 10.5", solid and have 38mm pistons in calipers; FX4 Rangers had 11.62" vented rotors and 48mm pistons in calipers. Cobra rotors are same diameter/thickness as FX4, but still use the small calipers.** Explorer rotors have same "power" as FX4 - same diameter and caliper piston - but as they are solid, they would fade e.g. long descent/loaded/trailer without brakes worst case for a truck). One can push harder on whoa pedal, you just need to be aware...***

Even for the front's, the FX4 "package" produces more "power" than the Cobra. But the 12" rotors might not have the thermal capacity of the Mustang 13" rotor solution...

Don

*I can replace/set up shoes, but truck is now my daughters, and discs are so much easier for her.

**Cobra rear rotors fit in 15" wheels as the FX4 setup did. Caveat - some wheel offsets might have issues...

***My daughter is "runt" in family at only 5'8" so for those driving the Ranger, pushing a little harder than average isn't an issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals