• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Info for Blown5pnt4 and possibly others...rear suspension mods

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I originally built this truck about 10yrs ago. As soon as I had the motor/tranny mocked up and ready to fire, I immediately went to work on the back end.

With the bed removed I took a ton of measurements on the rear placement from various points on the frame and back of the cab. I had planned on narrowing a 9" and mounting it directly in place of the 7.5". With some input from a drag racer cousin, we did some snooping and measuring. We discovered that we could use rear springs (w/ hangers and shackles) from a mid 80's S-10 and mount them under the frame...Ranger springs are attached to the side. This would provide significantly more room for tires. It would also raise the rear ride height quite a bit so we flipped the rear on top of, instead of underneath, the springs. I acquired the back half (no rear) of a S-10 from a local salvage yard for $15. I also got the bottom shock mounts.

The front spring mounts required drilling a few holes to mount up...no biggy. The rear mounts required a little more work. After the fronts were bolted to determine the rear mount location, I cut the attachment points out of the S-10 rails and then they had to be welded into the Ranger frame.

For shocks, they are mounted to the u-bolt plates under the rear and are both to the backside of the rear. The top shock mounts are original Ranger. One is in the factory location. The top mount to the front side of the rearend was cut off and relocated across from the other on the back side.

I'm currently running 15"x10" rear wheels and have room to go bigger with some fender well mods. When I get a chance I'll upload some better pics of the spring set up. But here's a pic of how she stands with the V8 up front, custom rear set up w/ 275/60-15's and it's future pilot.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Awww. You're going to have trouble keeping the boys away from your place. A truck like that with a girl driving is a sure fire lure for all boys LOL! When I built mine I built it with the intention of handing it over to my son on his 16th birthday. My 85 still has the "overdrive" badge on the tailgate too. Was yours an S model too?

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice setup you have there.

How did you like your TP headers? Have you got them on yet?

Blown5pnt4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks man, I love the look....some nice close shots of everything you did would be great if you can....

Dan B.

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How did you like your TP headers? Have you got them on yet?
For the price, they should have come with someone to install them!! They are still setting in the garage. What's the hold up you ask...well...I bought a new scooter (Bandit 1250S) and completely outfitted it with aftermarket goodie already...can, midpipe, TFI tuner, K&N, air box mod and a few other items.

I did get the Ranger back out last evening for a cruise...and by Cruise I mean some :3gears:...my wife was sitting in the pass seat going :nono:...but after honing them meats through first and seconmd she was going :yahoo: Gonna let a young kid race it this week then we'll tear into the header installation.

Dan B.

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This was before epoxy primer and paint. If you look at the right rear frame rail you can see the brown primer where the rear spring hanger/shackle has been welded into the frame.

Here's a good view of the front spring mounts bolted to the frame. The e-brake cable is kindof hanging in the way.

Close up of the axle over spring conversion and lower shock mount.

Entire right side view from under the truck....front spring mount, lower shock mount, relocated top shock mount, traction bar and shock in place.

Completed back end view.

Last edited:

Blown5pnt4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
wow man, thats pretty sweet.....I'll definetly be taking some pictures of my whole build and install.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals