• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

light bar mounting

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i got a 40" light bar and want to mount on my roof, i was going to use an expo roof rack but its 2" too narrow. i saw a mention and pics of a $10 light bar mount on the expo forums but cant find the actual thread. i would like some crossbars for the track but all the ones i can find are $300+ which i cant justify spending for this. i could mount directly on the roof with 2 bolts with nutserts but have heard it could tear the sheet metal.
another idea is making a cross bar out of 1/4" bar stock to bolt to the tie down points which would extend 1.5" past on each side but not too sure about strength there.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
i got a 40" light bar and want to mount on my roof, i was going to use an expo roof rack but its 2" too narrow. i saw a mention and pics of a $10 light bar mount on the expo forums but cant find the actual thread. i would like some crossbars for the track but all the ones i can find are $300+ which i cant justify spending for this. i could mount directly on the roof with 2 bolts with nutserts but have heard it could tear the sheet metal.
another idea is making a cross bar out of 1/4" bar stock to bolt to the tie down points which would extend 1.5" past on each side but not too sure about strength there.

Why not just buy a Yakima single roof rack with 1 cross bar and try that? Will this help you out? You can but the Yakima roof racks used on Ebay for a decent price. You can go to Onion River Sports (ORS.Com) and buy them new for a great price. I bought a few sets for My Ranger and my Nissan Rogue for a great price on ORS. I sometimes check the return section on the website where people sometime return of exchange items and you can get them cheaper this way as well. Can't hurt to try it, Bro!!

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i was unaware that they made roof racks specifically for rangers. i was unable to find any in a quick search i did so i assumed no one made them. i was looking at the yakima ones for the expo but they are $500ish from what i can find. i would like to make use of the expo rack just as an extra on my truck, (i got it for $17). i might fab something up with some tubing but it wont be great as i dont have access to a welder. (on my list of things to buy)

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
This what I got for my 99 Ranger XLT Supercab. I paid about $300 for the mounts, bars, Basketcase and the faring a few years back. These bars are the 48 inch set. You can mount that lightbar to the bars with no problems. You can see if Yakima has the mounts or you can fab them yourself. Should be easy.

Ford06xlt

Ford Technician
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Mike Mcqueen. Maaco. Class Act Tire. Fabtech. King Bolt. Pro Comp. Craftsman. Cool-It Window
Where can I find the window louvre caps that you run??

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I bought the Vent Visers and Window Louvers years ago from AVS. THey still look great. I bought the rear Window Viser from AVS as well.

NarNar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You really dont want to mount it on the roof if you are going to drive with it on, the light bounces off the hood and blinds you if there is a floodlight on that bar

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If the beam is adjusted correctly this won't happen. I see a lot of roof mounted light bars when we are up in Ocala running trails at night. The light bars work great. Nobody has any issues.

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The bar is a combo, 2 floods on each side then the rest are flood. Im going to see if i can use the rigid E series cradle and make a mount for it on the roof rack rails. I cant afford $300 for yakima right now.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
The bar is a combo, 2 floods on each side then the rest are flood. Im going to see if i can use the rigid E series cradle and make a mount for it on the roof rack rails. I cant afford $300 for yakima right now.
Try Ebay. You don't have to buy new. I bought a set of Yakima bars and the mounting brackets with locks used in good shape for $100 with shipping last month for my neice and her best friends Subaru. They share the car for collage and like to go to the beach with their surf boards. Now they can carry the boards easier with the rack.

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man, that one says it ships to us only. Since im in canada it wouldnt work but i found a set on craigslist for $65 just needs crossbars and a replacement key.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Cool!! I forgot that you were in B.C. Somtimes you can get stuuf shipped there and then you can't.....Darn! I hate when that happens!!!! LOL

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cool!! I forgot that you were in B.C. Somtimes you can get stuuf shipped there and then you can't.....Darn! I hate when that happens!!!! LOL
Lol it sucks when im trying find stuff, i need a part for my 10/22 but cant find it in canada and everywhere i look shipping is atrocious...
Anyways i bought the rack last night, pretty much unused with brand new locks for $160 just need the clips. Hoping to get it mounted and wired up today.

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So i got the bar on, rigged it up with some u-bolts and L brackets from home depot with blue loctite to keep them tight. The local store only had one set of clips so i only have one on but they are ordering them in for me, apparently im the first one to buy the clips for rangers in 5 years:icon_twisted: When i get the second on my rigid floods are going on the back bar for work lights. Didn't have time to wire them but hoping to do tomorrow.

Thanks again straycat for the idea for the rack, dont know why i didnt think of finding used ones.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals