• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 Ranger pedal swap

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
8"electric, 2.3, 4.0-OHV, 4.0-OHV
My credo
They say it can't be done, so I did it. Again
I am changing my 89 2.9 A4LD 2 wheel drive to a 5-speed manual from a 1991 Explorer 4x4, hoping that it will provide me with a bull low gear when I need it (work truck). My question is about the pedals. I just picked up a 96 4.0 5-speed 2 wheel drive Ranger to put the driveline in a Pinto. Will the 96 pedal set work in my 89 Ranger?

vwbugg2275

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 and 1993
Make / Model
ford, s10 vw bu
Transmission
Manual
The pedals will but u will need to use 89 mounting bracket just pull apart and switch the pedals over. Its not that hard

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
My credo
Thanks, I will try it next week (I hope)

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
My credo
Here is where I am with the swaps
The 89 Ranger 2.9 with dead A4LD is still waiting for a manual trans (the trans I bought from Craigslist was no good, plus I was busy for a while)
The 77 Pinto (was 2.8 auto, no engine or trans now) is still waiting for the '96 4.0 engine
I have as donor vehicles;
1996 Ranger with 4.0 5 speed that runs great
1990 Ranger Lariat 2.9 4x4 manual (don't know if it even runs, just got it)
1975 Mustang II 2.8 auto for the oil pump and pickup tube (and possibly the pan) which have to be changed to put the 4.0 in the Pinto
Should I use the 90 Ranger trans or the 96 Ranger trans in the 89?
I assume the 1990 will be easier, but I am thinking the 96 trans will be stronger. The 89 drives like it is brand new, except for the transmission, of course. It will be expected to do some fairly heavy hauling occasionally, but basically it is to be my toy, and possibly go to my son for 16th birthday eventually.
My budget is slim, but my friend from way back in high school has a Ford wrecking yard a half mile away, but I don't want to overstay my welcome there, though. Nice people.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals