• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

v8 with stock ........

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok i am thinking about putting a v8 302/5.0 in my 89 2.9 with danna28 and 7.5. but my question is is there a way to put in a v8 and not have to switch my tranny and all that jazz. and i dont want to buy the million dollar adapters. i dunno... change flywheel or somthing.. any info is good thanx

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You would waste your time and money adapting to a stock ranger transmission, it will blow. The only ranger based transmission that can be converted and not grenade would be a C5, which isn't an option in 89. You'll be changing engine and trans, and either adapting to keep the stock t-case or make driveshafts and use a fullsize t-case. You will find that if you shop around, getting the drivetrain something from say an F-150. cheaper than the adapter to use a stock transmission.

Matt

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet is a complete donor set-up with engine and trans. With your 4x4, you want to look at one from maybe a v8 explorer or a mountaineer fro the easiest fit. I don't know how the dana 28 will hold up, but you need to swap out to an 8.8 rear. the rear from a mid-90's up 4.0 ranger is a direct bolt in. If you go to the tech forum you can get the axle codes, which will greatly simplify your junkyard search. Obviously, with the new drive train you will be doing some fab work, but it's not as hard as you think...Also, if you don't have a body lift, you may want to consider one, it will make the swap way easier.

You are on the right track. My original plan was to run my 2.0 until it died, then swap in another 4banger. After reading everything on the forum, I decided that a v-8 was doable. It took me about 6 weeks of working at it in my spare time on my off days, but now I have a 5.0 HO with an AOD and an 8.8 rear. It was a project, but worth the effort, I smile everytime I start it up.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 7.5 will hold up much much better than the D28, stock V-6 can whoop one a D28 without too much of a hassle. They can both be ok if you know your limits and don't beat on them.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
An Explorer 302 would work, but the engine mounts won't. If you plan on using a carb the Ex 302 is even more wasted effort. The t-case is AWD; the only true 4 wheel drive t-case is from an Expedition. If you had a 98 or newer Ranger the Explorer 302 is the way to go. You can buy everything in pieces if you want or all in one shot. Any 302 will fit, EFI or carb is your option. If you choose EFI you are best off taking the electronic from where you got the engine. Manual or auto, no biggie. Any F-150 manual will work you can easily find, a t18, t19, M5ODR2 or a ZF. Although all the fullsize t-cases interchange, some are a little large in a Ranger. The NP 205 or 208 are the best fit. The 7.5 rear axle will hold 'ok' with a V8 if you aren't pulling hole shots all the time and keeping under 33s. The Ranger 8.8 uses the identical axle shafts to the 7.5; the gears are what breaks in the 7.5. The Dana 28 will hold if you are nice to it; but if it breaks don't be mad. You'll break the u-joints and axles. I had a Dana 28 under my 396W stroker for a good while and never broke it, only because I didn't hammer it. I welded the ears and tacked the caps; if I ever had to hammer it a little I kept the wheels straight. It lasted over 3 years; so it can be done if you keep off the gas. It is smarter to upgrade when you add power. An 8.8 and a Dana 35 will hold better but you can break anything if you really want to.

Matt

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanx for the help. i ve been doing my reading so i already know about axel up grade and that the danna28 will be fine(for now) i just figured no need to buy it till its broke! but yeah i was thinking about the tranny as well. will i have to fab my drive shafts if i go with stock transfercase? i basicolly want to have a v8 in as cheap as possible.i plan to get the danna38 and 8.8 but in due time. thanx

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The engine and transmission are computer controlled in a 302 Ex. Why go though all the hassle if you wouldn't be using it. Same with the t-case if he wouldn't want AWD. He would be buying all that stuff to never use it if using a carb. The mounts wouldn't work either. Even if it was a 98+ Ranger the explorer really wouldn't be worth it in my opinion there either. Any 302 would work if using a carb. You'll pay more money for a Ex 302 at least in my area due to them being a little less common. When an F-series 302 is much more common and cheaper to come across. If he keeps EFI then either would be worth the hassle, F-series or EX. I would go with the MAF F-series because you can take a 4 or 5 speed if you want and have the option of any fullsize t-case unlike the Ex stock one or the Expeditons. As far as driveshafts: if you do a fullsize set up you will be making a set or may get lucky in the junkyard. With a kit, the stock ones should fit, not a gurantee though.

Matt

gfbgreaser289

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
turd
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
use a painless harness and run whatever set up you want. thats what i did in my 89 and it what i have in my 87 xcab daily driver. im running an efi set up with a 79 np435/205 combo.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That's the way to go if you don't have to pass an emission test or can't get an exemption. If you have to pass emissions they will dictate what you can and can't do to keep it on the street.

Matt

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The engine and transmission are computer controlled in a 302 Ex. Why go though all the hassle if you wouldn't be using it. Same with the t-case if he wouldn't want AWD. He would be buying all that stuff to never use it if using a carb. The mounts wouldn't work either. Even if it was a 98+ Ranger the explorer really wouldn't be worth it in my opinion there either. Any 302 would work if using a carb. You'll pay more money for a Ex 302 at least in my area due to them being a little less common. When an F-series 302 is much more common and cheaper to come across. If he keeps EFI then either would be worth the hassle, F-series or EX. I would go with the MAF F-series because you can take a 4 or 5 speed if you want and have the option of any fullsize t-case unlike the Ex stock one or the Expeditons. As far as driveshafts: if you do a fullsize set up you will be making a set or may get lucky in the junkyard. With a kit, the stock ones should fit, not a gurantee though.

Matt
Then all the excess parts could be sold and possibly recoup the cost and have the motor for free.:D Depending on the price tag of an Explorer motor,and what you can sell the parts you don't use, it can still be a viable option for carbed applications.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals