• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

00 Ranger no start

Josh S.

Reaction score
Hey guys having some trouble with a ranger I just picked up and was hoping for some advice! I searched and came up with some real good info but could still use some guidance :)

So according to the guy I bought it from, it had been sitting for a few months but ran fine before that. He did have the oil pan and starter dropped so I put that all back together.

Upon trying to start she will crank and crank but no fire. I have tested the fuel pressure and it primes towards 60psi then holds steady at 48psi. Haynes manual said 56-72 was the normal range I believe. Is this too low? I swapped in a new fuel filter today with no change in pressure reading.

I checked the Crank Positioning Sensor and found resistance of 654ohms and supply voltage of 1.6vdc, so within the ranges I found on here from Ron I believe.

I am leaning towards the coil at this point because I checked the primary leads or what not (where harness plugs into coil) and came up with ZERO ohms testing between the Red wire and each of the brown wires...I tried it on all the different Ohm settings on the multimeter with the same results. I tested between the pins on the coil plug and not on the harness itself. Next I tested the red wire on the harness clip with the key turned on and came up with 15v. Testing between the plug holes on the coil (secondary test?) showed about 13k ohms.

Does this sound like a bad coil? Would the next step be to pull a plug and hold it close to the block or maybe intake manifold while someone cranks to see if it sparks?

One other thing...I read a little on the IAC valve and someone mentioned that if you give it some has while trying to start that may help? Well when I punch the gas pedal while trying to start it the motor will "stumble" a little bit. Hasn't come closer to starting than that but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Also should probably pull a plug after cranking to make sure the fuel is making it through the injectors I suppose even though the rail had decent pressure.

Also ripped out the cheesy alarm system the guy had on there hoping that would help. It had a starter kill feature but the factory wire is spliced back together. Same results before and after. Even tried throwing a battery from another truck for kicks.

Sorry for the long saga but wanted to give all the info I could. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Josh

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Would the next step be to pull a plug and hold it close to the block or maybe intake manifold while someone cranks to see if it sparks?
Always a good idea. Initially you're trying to generally narrow it down to spark or fuel. Looking at the plug spark will give you an idea of spark strength as well.

Spraying starting fluid into the throttle body and getting momentary firing will tell you that fuel delivery may be the problem.

You can back probe the primary supply on the coil with a test light to see if its switching on/off. If no switching then no spark and the problem would be in a sensor.

If the IAC is stuck closed then you only have to give it a little pedal to open up the throttle plate to provide starting air.

Josh S.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply rearanger.

Well thanks to the previous owner not giving me the whole story, I beat my head against a wall until finally realizing he had the plug wires switched around on the drivers side lol!

After finding that I was really excited to crank her over and hear the sweet sound of 3.0 liters of fury, but still nothing. Pulled a plug and woah they were soaked in fuel from countless attempts at starting thr thing up. Cleaned em off and regapped em for kicks and she fired right up!!

Hopefully this will save someone some heartache down the road :)

bocefas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After finding that I was really excited to crank her over and hear the sweet sound of 3.0 liters of fury
:icon_rofl:

Funniest thing I will read all day! Thanks man!

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pulled a plug and woah they were soaked in fuel from countless attempts at starting thr thing up.
I would advise an immediate oil and filter change. That raw fuel is now in your oil and could severely damage your bearings by diluting the oil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals