• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger v6 3.0l taking a really long time to start need help please

rangerdanger85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger (01) is taking 5 or more seconds to start sometimes....once in a while it starts after 2 seconds or so, but mostly it cranks for a bit and then turns over.

If I shuffle the key to power on for a few seconds then off and repeat 2-3 times it starts right away. I took it to the place I bought it...still under warranty...and they said it was the fuel pump, which it was not because I still have the same issue.

These guys are complete idiots...they left the hose that connects my tank to the gas cap off...and I found that out the hard way...they put the wrong kind of oil filter on, and I changed the oil/filter myself just to be safe...oil looked pretty old even though they said they put all new fluids in before selling it to me.

Anyway I want these guys to fix it correctly, but I'm scared they are going to **** something up...it's a service center inside of a used dealership. I like the truck and want to keep it, but I want all issues handled before my warranty is up in a month.

I added some Techron and that didn't help.

Also I am getting an annoying clicking or knocking sound that sounds like it is coming from the passengers side under the hood when I cold start it...after a few minutes the sound goes away (this is both in neutral and in drive)...once it is warmed up some it becomes a faint clicking noise when I accelerate only. Any clues on what this could be? I also added some lucas heavy duty oul stabilizer today but so far nothing.

Finally, is anyone familiar with used car sale laws? if they don't fix this stuff or keep screwing with me what could I do about it? They gave me 100% coverage for 30 days when I bought it.

Sorry for the long story...things are just starting to get annoying. I've tried and tried and nothing seems to help the start or the clicking/knocking at this point. On top of that I am dealing with mechanics that either are assholes or are genuinely slow in the head.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My ranger (01) is taking 5 or more seconds to start sometimes....once in a while it starts after 2 seconds or so, but mostly it cranks for a bit and then turns over.
The fuel system should hold pressure after shut down. If that were the problem the new fuel pump should have solved. The idle air control valve (IAC) may be sticking closed which prevents throttle air at start up. If you depress the gas pedal a little on start up see if that helps.

I want all issues handled before my warranty is up in a month.
Make sure you make your complaints in writing, if you can use email that would be best. Documentation for future small claims case or out-of-warranty free work is the key. Read the fine print in your contract.

Also I am getting an annoying clicking or knocking sound that sounds like it is coming from the passengers side under the hood when I cold start it...after a few minutes the sound goes away (this is both in neutral and in drive)...once it is warmed up some it becomes a faint clicking noise when I accelerate only. Any clues on what this could be?
Diagnosing sounds sources here is almost impossible. You could pay for second opinion then get the sellers to pay for fix - but give them the chance to fix first.

Finally, is anyone familiar with used car sale laws?
They differ by state. You can research through your state's attorney generals office, consumer division.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it is a ball joint expect to replace all of them (I'd recommend). I had to last year, they're just low quality crap. My boots were torn as well just from normal use. You can do it yourself but will need to borrow press and use an impact gun to remove and install the lowers. Uppers come with control arms.

Also expect to install a camber/caster adjustment kit for alignment as factory one is non adjustable.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The knocking sound on the passenger side is more than likely the lower ball joint. On inspection you will probably see the rubber boot deteriorated. It will probably squeak or grind when you push down on the front fender. I've sprayed some lithium grease around the lower ball joint to kill the noise, but it should be replaced. For some reason, the passenger side lower ball joint, has been the 1st to go bad for me.
You seriously think a noise on cold start that goes away when warm and then comes back on acceleration is a ball joint?

People get dumber every day.

The noise is more than likely and exhaust leak caused by a warped or cracked manifold.

rangerdanger85

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The fuel system should hold pressure after shut down. If that were the problem the new fuel pump should have solved. The idle air control valve (IAC) may be sticking closed which prevents throttle air at start up. If you depress the gas pedal a little on start up see if that helps.
Tried that no results. I might clean it myself...seems pretty easy to do. Going to go to a mechanic I know and trust today to get him to give me a little write up of what he thinks is wrong. Taking it back to the dealer afterwards and getting written copies of what they did so far too.

Thanks for the responses.

The truck is running pretty smooth after I gave her a new oil change, put the right filter on, added techron and an oil stabilizer....the sound coming when I hit the gas doesn't relate to performance at all....hopefully I get that figured out today too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals