• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 rear end

maxduke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have 1985 ranger that i am using to set a rat rod on,what i am wanting to do is change the rear end out it just has the standard rear end now.When i take off only one wheel will spend,what i am wanting is like posi but do not know what to use,is there an easy swap if so could someone tell me year make model.(its not a 4w/d)Would like to just drop this one and put in the other one,thanks to all.:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So you are looking for limited slip.

As far as I know all years of Rangers had LS as an option and they will all bolt in with, at most, minimal modifications.

If you go to the mid 90s it becomes much more common but going past 91 means you have to change out your drive shaft flange, which isn't hard and is a good time to change u-joints. You just need to get the front flange from a 95 Ranger's rear drive shaft and put it on the rear of yours.

If you go to a 95+ Explorer getting LS becomes more common still, but adds a degree or two of extra work to make the axle work, unless you want 4 inches of drop in the rear. It can also get you rear disc brakes, which is nice. It is also a stronger axle

If you get lucky enough to find an FX4 Level 2 that will get you LS, with the
stronger axle, in bolt-in configuration, you just need to change your rear brake lines because that axle has bigger brakes and those wheel cylinders have different ports.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals