• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whos done a fairly cheap 302 swap an rear end?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/89
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.8lt v6 2.5lt four bangr
Transmission
Automatic
I am saving up my money to do a 302 swap hopefully soon (next 3 years) an I was wondering who has done a 302 swap an better gearing for under $2,500. I wanna have a loud truck an pretty fastd to take to test an tunes at the strip on weekends.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It really depends on what you have and what you can get cheap. If you have access to a welder, torch, and a drill press you could do it easily for less than $2500.
I have the parts and tools that I could build a 12 second ranger right now with nothing more than labor. Faster than that would take some cash.
If you have to buy everything new, I don't think it could be done. It would take some real careful spending.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i agree with mutant pony.

i can easily do what you describe which is essentially just a hotrod for less then 5-600 bux and a weekend with what is sitting around my yard as well....

but uhhhh... i have alot of tools:dunno:

even with little in the way of tools, a guy can do a simple 302 2wd swap under 2500 with ease provided he is willing to run a used powertrain.

generally complete small block running powertrains can be had for 200-1000 bux from stock to mild 230-300 ish hp.

in a 2wd application that does not need ac/cruise control etc its practically a bolt in affair.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Over here they have tons of running 302 explorers in the impound lots for 600 or less. Buy a explorer take out the engine and rear axle and your good. Part all the other parts out and you may of even done it for free.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Ummm.............

I don't have $2500 in my WHOLE truck, just some scroungin, careful spendin, GOOD used parts, and lil' bit of ingenuity.........course I am alot older than most on here & have been tinkerin with cars since I was 10.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
jammert are you going to do a EFI 302 or are you doing Carb'ed

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was wanting to do a carb'ed then evenchally put a 650 holly on it
thats the way im aiming if i do a 5.0 swap, then as far as i remember i can still use the same fuel system.

that saves money there.

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check out my build thread.

I have a little over $5000 into my whole truck (And that includes the truck, and my roots type super charger kit........)

I did the V-8 and rear end swap of my project for under a grand.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was wanting to do a carb'ed then evenchally put a 650 holly on it
Just don't over-do the induction without making sure the exhaust is up it. Once you get it in there, it's gotta have someplace to go, so the system works at its best efficiency.

I've had 2 302s - one in a '74 Datsun pickup, the other in a '73 Bronco. Both ended up with Holley aluminum intakes, and 1850/4160 Holley carbs. There's quite a bit of room to play with the jetting on one of those.

If you mean a 650 "double pumper".....that may be a bit of overkill. Just my opinion, of course.

The Datsun was stock exhaust; the Bronco had a full Hooker system, from headers back.

Basically what I'm saying is - bigger isn't always better.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
It all depends on the money you are going to spend. Finding a complete motor that is in a+ shape is a big+!!! That is where most of the cost comes in. Do a search on our site and see what other folks have put together for their complete swap and just follow that routine. You should come out better since you say you are good at mechanics!!!!

Good luck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You should come out better since you say you are good at mechanics!!!!
This isn't changing your oil, replacing an alternator kind of mechanics. Really you are designing the powertrain of a vehicle by yourself. You have to position the engine and trans, set up the cooling system, throttle system, shifter, driveshaft, rear end... Nothing is cut and dry. I ran into instances on mine where others say this fits great and it plain wouldn't work and vice versa... no two swaps are the same.

A good running engine is key when you are on a budget. I paid $200 for mine and got lucky, I have another one I paid $150 for that "runs really good" that needs $1500 worth of work to have a runable long block.

I got a new carb because I didn't want to deal with somebody elses problem ($400 Edelbrock 500) a new intake because I couldn't find a used one when I needed it ($170 Wieand Stealth) and a new radiator ($170) because my used one was leaking and I didn't want to keep making hour and half trips dragging home leakers. Add to that the $200 C5 trans and a custom $200 rear driveshaft and a $325 dual exhaust system (+$160 headers)... don't forget to add something else to cover all the extra crap (efan, hoses, gaskets, silicone).

Aside from the carb, intake (which isn't much more than a used one) and radiator... unless I made my own driveshaft and bent my own exhaust I don't think I could have gone much lower unless somehow I got the stuff for free. It adds up really quick.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals