• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 ranger headache

burn0ut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
not here for a long time, only a good time... AFFA
hey guys, so heres the issue, 96 ranger 2.3 manual, tried starting but had no spark, started poking around noticed the starter was spitting sparks,figured well its not spinning enough to send spark. so i go and buy a new one put it on and nothing. new starter wont even attempt to spin, cant bump start it or anything, im not one to go tossing parts at a issue mainly because im broke. but can anyone help me narrow it down. im stumped.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check or replace positive battery cable to starter
Check or replace negative battery cable to engine block.

It reads like you are drawing too many amps, that could be bad starter motor or loose or bad battery cables.
If you pull too many amps then voltage at battery drops too low and computer, coil and other electrics can't work, so no start.

Also check battery with voltage meter
Good battery will have 12.3volts to 12.8 volts, any lower and battery is suspect.
And if possible watch voltage meter(hooked to battery) while some one tries to start engine, if voltage drops below 9.5volts then battery needs a good long charge or you need a new battery.
If battery is 5+ years old just replace it.

Bump start will only work if you have above 11volts at the computer and other electrics, so test voltage with key off, by hooking meter to battery positive and engine block, then battery negative and B+ on the back of the alternator.
Then do the same test with key on.
If voltage drops then bad cables or bad battery

Last edited:

burn0ut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ok starter issue is solved, but still no fire, the hting ran fine when i stopped, but refuses to fire, before i start ripping the timing cover and everyhting off, is there anything im over looking? surely it has to be something simple.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you add fuel manual to intake does it fire up?

burn0ut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
the fuel pumps working, its not a lack of fuel its a no spark issue.ive pulled plug boot soff each side to check for spark and on either side i check im getting no spark, tested with plug in boot screwdriver in boot, test light in boot etc etc, no spark.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Only the Exhaust side spark plugs/coil works when starter motor is turning, just FYI.

Intake side starts working above 450RPM, approx.

The spark plug wires are also wired in series, so if you disconnect one it can break the circuit, if you have an old time timing light connect it to exhaust side plug wire and see if it pulses when cranking.

If you can swap coils that would eliminate the coil as the issue.

Each coil pack will have a 3 wire connector, center wire(red/light Green) on each connector should have 12volts when key is on, this power comes from fuse #19, 25amp, in engine fuse box

On '96 the ICM(ignition control module) is in the Computer, so no serviceable parts.

On the lower passenger side of the engine at the front you will find the CKP(crank shaft position) sensor.
The CKP sensor tells the computer you are trying to start the engine, it sends pulses to computer IDing when #1 is at TDC, so without this pulse there would be no spark or fuel injectors opening.
After cranking engine pull a spark plug and see if it has fuel on it, if no fuel then chances are CKP sensor signal is not getting to computer, these rarely fail, not never just rarely, but wiring can fail, connectors get water inside...ect....

If spark plug has fuel on it then CKP pulse is at the computer.

CPS(cam position sensor) can't cause a no start, it fine tunes fuel injectors for better MPG.

Last edited:

burn0ut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
so glad you said there is no ICM on 96 models, i was arguing with a buddy who was 100% certain it was located on lower side of intake, and kept insisting i was stupid for not seeing it lol. got the front of the motor tore apart to get to the CPK, hopefully thats the fix, local parts places didnt have it in stock so i gotta wait to see. stupidest place they couldve put that thing, EVERYTHING had to come off, on my 99 3.0 its right there staring assoon as you pop the hoo basically. but atleast it gives me the time and access to replace timing belt and tensioner, and degrease the whole front end. but on the crap side of things if that doesnt do it, i guess i have to replace the computer. thanks again ronD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals