• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 98 engine swap

machusenpai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys, I have a ranger 98 2.5 5speed and it's about to die. It has over 250k miles on it and I was thinking of swapping the engine for a diesel but I heard about the 302. So here is my question : what is the easiest swap to do that would fit right in without too much fab work? I heard about the OM617 which is actually pretty simple to swap if you keep the tranny.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Swapping a gasoline vehicle over to diesel adds a layer of issues with fuel system, vs a gasoline/gasoline swap

I guess you need to decide if you want MPG or quick power as the result

Explorer 5.0l V8s have been swapped into Rangers quite often so there will be more info available for that swap.

Personally I would just rebuild the 2.5l Lima, it is a good reliable engine that gets OK MPG for the year made

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174669

The link above is my 98 ranger 5.0 swap thread. My swap was fairly simple because I already had a v6 and an 8.8 rear end. You will have to modify your motor mounts on the four cylinder version. The ranger has the same fuel pump as the explorer 5.0's and returnless fuel system as your 98. If you go with a 5.0 explorer be sure to find a 99-01 explorer to match your ranger suspension and fuel system along with your speedometer setup. You will have to wire in pats(the theft box and a wiring) because 98 ranger did not come with it. I cover all the wiring in my write up. Hope this helps.

machusenpai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Swapping a gasoline vehicle over to diesel adds a layer of issues with fuel system, vs a gasoline/gasoline swap

I guess you need to decide if you want MPG or quick power as the result

Explorer 5.0l V8s have been swapped into Rangers quite often so there will be more info available for that swap.

Personally I would just rebuild the 2.5l Lima, it is a good reliable engine that gets OK MPG for the year made
Well, is the 5.0L bolt in without too much thinkering? Do I need to swap ECU? Will I be able to hit 20mpg daily driving the 5L?

machusenpai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174669

The link above is my 98 ranger 5.0 swap thread. My swap was fairly simple because I already had a v6 and an 8.8 rear end. You will have to modify your motor mounts on the four cylinder version. The ranger has the same fuel pump as the explorer 5.0's and returnless fuel system as your 98. If you go with a 5.0 explorer be sure to find a 99-01 explorer to match your ranger suspension and fuel system along with your speedometer setup. You will have to wire in pats(the theft box and a wiring) because 98 ranger did not come with it. I cover all the wiring in my write up. Hope this helps.
What about the transmission? I have the 2WD. Do I need to swap a 302 tranny or I can just put the 3.0/4.0 tranny?

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You have to run the 5.0 tranny(4r70w). You will blow your 3.0/4.0 to pieces. Plus the bolt pattern is different. The 5.0 has 215hp and 285 torque stock.

machusenpai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have to run the 5.0 tranny(4r70w). You will blow your 3.0/4.0 to pieces. Plus the bolt pattern is different. The 5.0 has 215hp and 285 torque stock.
What about the ecu? I want EFI, I don't like carb.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you swap engine size then you also swap transmission, and if engine is computer(ECU) operated(Fuel injection requires computers and sensors) then you also swap that and its wiring harness.
Also exhaust to match engine

Yes and motor mounts to match engine

For the 5.0l V8 swap most buy a whole V8 Explorer that has body damage so they get engine, trans, computer w/wiring, and exhaust all in one package, to swap over to the Ranger

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You will have to use the 5.0 ecu. It bolts right back into the factory location of the 2.5. Read my thread and do some more research. I researched for a month and then started gathering parts.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you change engines from any engine to any other engine plan on having to replace everything in the engine bay, under the vehicle, and anything that involves electricity to make it work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals