Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Boggin

Vehicle Model: 89 bronco ii
I use this vehicle for: going inappropriate places
Boggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Boggin Send a message via MSN to Boggin
Default heres my lights on the cowl..

Well i was told in my build thread that lots of people ask about it and want to do it but never do, this was after i had one of mine done, it never turned out as good as i thought it would, dunno if i like it or not. but i think ill get used to it
its (2) 8" 100w lights, i bought them one day when me and fx2prerunner went to Princess Auto but i couldnt find any bigger bulbs for them.

but like i said ill probably get used to it and the function will make up for it.

so if anybody else has questions about doing it, this is what i had to do. for the passenger side, i removed the fender, and started cutting, ended up with something like this. just good enough to fit a wrench in there thats all. i doesnt have to be pretty as the fender will cover it.

on the driver side, it was easier. since my truck is auto, i didnt need to remove the fender, i just removed the plate that covers up the spot where the clutch hydraulic resivoir would be. lots of room in there for a wrench and to put on the nuts and washers, no pics of that tho because its pretty simple

and if you plan on mounting the switches here:

you have to do this:

just go around it with a screw driver it will unclip all around until you get down to where the ash tray is, remove that and there are (2) 7mm bolts (probably a 9/32"?) to remove, also you gotta remove the column lever if you have an auto, it just slides up through, i used a punch and small hammer. then just run your wires and you are good to go, theres your cowl mounted lights
05 F250 - 6.0, 6 speed, deleted by RCD, SCT tuned, blue spring, sinister coolant filter, dummy plugs/stand pipes, Atlas 80 ficm, afe intake, 4" turbo back straight to 5" mitre cuts, 6" lift with rear air bags, 35" pro comps
04 Ranger 4.0 4x4 - stock
02 Duramax - afe intake, Super chip, straight pipe
93 W 250 12v cummins - stage 5 fuel pin
Lots of past rbv's
"Dont know how to drive automatic"- Chance. RIP Buddy.
Boggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

Neat idea, kinda looks like they might create a bad blind spot to me tho. How did you wire them up?
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Boggin

Boggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to beholdBoggin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch_Ryda View Post
Neat idea, kinda looks like they might create a bad blind spot to me tho. How did you wire them up?
Thanks! I already checked about the blind spot, it doesnt affect it as much as I thought, still have plenty of sight.

As for wiring, I used 12 gauge wire, ran from the lights to a relay and to the switch, then from the switch, to a relay, to the battery. And for the lights ground, I just ran the wire to the bolt that holds them on. Works great
05 F250 - 6.0, 6 speed, deleted by RCD, SCT tuned, blue spring, sinister coolant filter, dummy plugs/stand pipes, Atlas 80 ficm, afe intake, 4" turbo back straight to 5" mitre cuts, 6" lift with rear air bags, 35" pro comps
Lots of past rbv's
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

Wow....12ga is more than a bit overkill. 16g is more than enough for those lights.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Boggin

Well i already has this wire picked up because I am also running the 4 on the roof off it
Lots of past rbv's
Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
strvger

Location: the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for Winter!
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Ranger xl cab, short bed
I use this vehicle for: getting the job done, no matter what that job is.
strvger will become famous soon enoughstrvger will become famous soon enough

nice job. looks pretty good. if you get too much bright reflection off the housings, you can just coat them with a clear matte finish.

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid"... the Duke
strvger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Ranger Sport Honduras
Zoom Zoom

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Mitsubishi/Ford
Vehicle Model: Montero Sport/Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Hauling ass, work, toy
My credo: Fortune Favors the Brave
Ranger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond reputeRanger Sport Honduras has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ranger Sport Honduras

looks unique lol, post some pics with the lights on
Ranger Militia
Cardomain(All the trucks)
Ranger Sport Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
The_Dealer

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Duh!
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Everything
The_Dealer will become famous soon enough

looks good. imo 6" would be a bit better looking and would be easier to see around. i want to do this to my rig. need more lift or it'll look funny

Comming Soon:1" body, 33's, LED tail light boxes
The_Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Boggin

well the most i had the lights on yet was in the garage with the lights off, it light up the garage good and my garage is 40 feet long and 30 feet wide, ill take her out tomorrow in the dark and get some pics of it
Lots of past rbv's
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
kolton

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: broncoII
I use this vehicle for: DD, and anything that i feel an urge to crawl!
kolton is on a distinguished road

that looks sweet man, i had mine up like that, but lack of pictures.

one thing ill say is you might want to sandwich a 4x4" (or as much as you can get) section of flat plate to support and brace the sheet steel of the cowl. i ripped my driverside light off with a low hanging tree
or you could put some of those limb saver things that are just a steel cord running from the fender to the roof to save the Apillars and lights on jeeps and the such.

Dont mess with Texas.
kolton is offline   Reply With Quote