• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stripping and repainting

AnahRabekka1501

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a ‘89 Ranger XLT Supercab that I’m stripping and repainting, and I really don’t have the gear or tools to take the whole thing apart. I’ve taken off the passenger door, and plan to take off the fenders, just to strip them down and repaint. How would I remove the bed to be able to get the back of the cab? Also, I plan to do the rustoleum spray paint-job to save hella money, so are there any tips or tricks you would recommend? I plan to do glossy red. I have wrenches, ratchets, and sand paper, no DA sanders. I plan to start on 80 grit and work my way up to 400 with sand paper to really get it.
Thanks in advance!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would suggest buying or renting a 4" disc grinder instead of sand paper if you find any rusted metal you want to clean up. Get some good gloves and eye protection and one or two wire wheel discs.

You will need a 55 Torx socket (or two) and some PB Blaster to loosen things up to remove the bed of the truck. It can be removed with one big strong person or two smaller people because it only weighs about 250 lbs...remove the tailgate before removing.

Just the above supplies and tools can run you $50-$100 (if you buy the grinder) depending on what you have in your area and it will get more expensive with the paint and primer plus replacing any hardware for the bed should you break something.

You should also get a short piece of pipe to use as an extender for your ratchet if you don't have a Johnson bar (long handled ratchet).

I'm sure you will get other tips from the thousands of people who have done a similar project so be patient and ask questions as you go if needed.

Pics of the project are always nice but there is a bit of problem with hosting images right now in case you missed out on that.

AnahRabekka1501

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for such a timely reply:) Do you know any big-name stores that rent things like the grinder and such? I know autozone does a tool-loan program, but I doubt they will have a grinder lol. And to remove the bed, it’s just a few bolts and that’s it? Just lift and move?

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Removing the bed is pretty easy. Go under the truck and spray the bolts with pb blaster a couple days before you do it. There are a couple bolts inside the fuel door for the filler neck and a plug near the rear bumper for the tail lights and that's about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals