• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5od 4th gear only, 92 Ranger.

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so on my drive back to Utah from Arizona I lost power in o/d I downshifted to 4th and was good so I kept going. Well the truck acted up and shut off and after letting it cool down I went to go again and discovered that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and reverse no longer worked either. I'm able to move it I'm and out of those gears without pressing the clutch, but if I do 4th gears grind as it still works. I had it in the shop earlier this year for a new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, amd hydraulic lines. They had me replace the front, rear, and top seals as we'll as a plate inside because the gears were loose.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what would cause it do that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, while the M5OD-R1 is one of the better manual transmission out there, the one issue that is not common but a known issue is Input gear failure

Input gear drives the counter gear shaft which drives 1, 2, 3, 5, Reverse

4th is a direct link between input and output shaft, 1:1 ratio, so input gear/counter shaft isn't used, which is why you still have 4th

The power lost was resistance building up in the transmission because of the failure

What you will see when you open the trans: http://www.nationalnewstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/leah-schoenfeld-10b.jpg
upper left should have gear teeth that drives the counter shaft, it's been stripped, and counter shaft gear damaged
What input shaft(what clutch disc sits on) with gear should look like: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/172731368016-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

M5OD-R1 is also called M5R1, bellhousing is not removable so replacement trans must be from same engine model, however 2.9l and 4.0l used same bellhousing pattern
Also 2WD or 4x4 transmissions had different tailshafts, these tailshafts can be swapped but easier to just get the correct trans for what you need

1992 also still used speedometer cable, so you need a 1997 or earlier M5R1 which still had speedo hook up, if 4x4 then transfer case will have that so any year will work, from same engine model of course

Last edited:

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome thanks. I'll have to start looking then, really wish I hadnt spent all that money on it now though :/

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well all the clutch work is still good, you'll just have to pull the trans, fix it and then you'll be back on the road with a new clutch AND a good transmission.

They had me replace the front, rear, and top seals as we'll as a plate inside because the gears were loose.
Can you be more specific on this one? Did they replace the front and rear seals on the transmission? Seems they would have noticed the input shaft gear on it's way out.

I have a good input shaft, output shaft and counter shaft in my garage if you want them. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

All the new clutch parts will transfer over to the other M5R1
And the labor for doing the clutch would be the biggest expense, with transmission out the seals shouldn't have added that much.

Yes, I too would wonder about the "loose gear" thing, I take it it wasn't a shop well versed in this transmission

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont know anymore they had good reviews and seemed to know Ford transmissions but they mostly had super duties so yeah possibly not well versed. They did the front and rear seals, they did a seal on top as well as it was leaking too but everything they did doubled the initial quote and I told them I was worfied about it going out and they said I'd be fine. They said the only other issue was it had been run low on fluid and there was a little wear on 1st gear but it should be fine.

It's been having issues with the motor ad well and the #4 cylinder is low on compression as well. So at this point I think I'm just going to buy a F150 and v8 swap it, so the real question is should I go with the e4od or manual trans not sure which one the 150's had...

Jerlaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I shpuld note I still have my explorer to drive and I did just do a fluid and filter swap on it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals