• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine oil leak between trans & engine ??

macx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Experienced wrencher but new to these particular vehicles.

Didn't drip when parked nose down on a sloped driveway, and might have been low on oil for all I know, too.

Changed oil when I brought it home, now it seeps about 1/2 cup a day. Even without running the engine at all. It's definitely engine oil - only thing I can think of is the rear main? Oh, goody!

Seeps out between the engine & trans, gotta clean the area some more to see if I can pinpoint it for sure. Not coming from the pan gasket or the oil level warning sensor.

Well, with 80k on it, probly time to check and most likely replace at least the clutch disc and the slave cyl / throwout bearing assy while I have the trans out, and check the flywheel.

Another kind soul clued me into sealing the shift rail plugs - what an opportunity to do that when the trans is out! I suppose I need a gasket so I can pull the shifter out of the top of the trans?

Anything else? The trans shifts really nice, goes into all gears easily, doesn't make any funny noises under or out of throttle.

The one thing that got me thinking clutch - then I researched and found out about this none-too-reliable hydraulic setup on these - is that there's very little pedal free play. Releases fully with no complaints, and does so about 1/2 way in the pedal travel. Doesn't feel spongy like it would with air in the system either. Is this normal or does the small amount of free play signal pending problems? With 80 k I might just as well replace it while the trans is out unless it happens to look new or something when I pull it.

AND one more thing - a weak reverse synchro, can't put much torque to it in reverse or it pops out. No sign of that symptom in any other gear. I've already read a little about the trans disassembly on this forum, but will save that for a more in depth discussion on another thread when I get ready to pull the trans. Have rebuilt other manuals and have an oem shop manual coming, so no insurmountable technical problems. Just to get the necessary tools.

Most of my tools are at home 1700 miles away - I'm in Vegas for 2+ years on a power plant job and just have a moderate amount of medium to small metric wrenches and a few other basic hand tools for working on my bike.

Thanks for any info!!

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's a rear main.

don't worry about the shift rail plugs unless there's signs of leakage.the gasket fot the shifter is not usually an issue-not likely to be damaged.
it's definetally a good idea to change out all the clutch stuff while it's apart.if nothing else,it may be contaminated with engine oil.

the reverse thing.....there's no syncro on reverse.it's more likely incomplete engagement.check clearances around the shifter openning,and when the trans is out look at the shifter fork.
if these are ok,there may be wear on the countershaft.

good luck.

a basic metric tool kit and some patience should get you through this in a day or two.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the reverse thing.....there's no syncro on reverse.
That's not right.

Ford Shop Manual said:
Transmission, Manual, M5OD
The M5OD is a top-shift, fully-synchronized, five-speed manual transmission, equipped with an overdrive fifth gear ratio. All gear changes (including reverse) are accomplished with synchronizer sleeves.

The transmission main case, top cover, and extension housing are constructed of aluminum alloy. Steel bearing race inserts provide durability in appropriate areas.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's not right.
oops....i stand corrected:icon_thumby:

been a while since i've been inside one of those...memory's gotten muddy,i guess.

macx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't feel bad about the memory - I used to just be forgetful, now I'm downright senile!

Appreciate the info - I thought it must be synchro'd or it wouldn't slip in without a bit of gear grinding. I've driven lots of non-synchro trans, can tell the diff.

I've got mostly 3 day weekends and the Ranger is not my main transportation, just a
backup for cold or bad weather. Had my car stolen 6 weeks ago, right out of the gated apartment complex. Just bought it last May, was going to be my daughter's graduation present next fall. So went "cheap" this time. So if it does happen to take a few days, no biggy unless the temps drop into the 30's. That's cold on a bike, even for this Minnesota boy! Putting lots of miles on my bike - probly not too many more years I'll be able to ride, so - -. 18,000 since May 1 of this year, even. Ride it to work 40 mi ea way.
And have been all over Southern Utah, E Central CA, northern AZ, etc. Gotta put a little hitch on the Ranger so I can trailer the bike to Western CO and Eastern CA North of Yosemite. I'll build one when I go home for Christmas and ship it to my apartment here in Vegas.

Just bought the Ranger, going thru it stem to stern. ALL fluids incl PS & brake fluid, plugs, new T-stat and radiator (I never have seen such a filthy muddy SANDY bunch of crap in a radiator!), flush the block, gonna check the brakes, probly clean and repack the front wheel bearings with new seals, new fuel filter, lower rad hose, muffler, and NOW the darn clutch and throwout / slave cyl. The poor thing won't know how to act! I think all fluids are oem, believe it or not!

I know it's an inanimate object, but it just grates on me to neglect a decent machine of any kind when with some tlc and regular maintenance it will last sooo much longer and run sooo much nicer.

I'll likely have more questions when I actually get into doing the clutch & rear main.
Gotta hike over to Harbor Freight and pick up a trans jack first, tho.

Oh, well, is keeping me out of mischief. Darnit anyway :-/

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals