• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 3.0 skip time????

adkins417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just picked up a 2005 XlT extended cab with 197k bought the truck not running. When i crank it over it just cranks and cranks but does not sound quite normal. Anyone ran into timing issues with these? Or anything else that may be a normal cause for these engines to crank and not start? Any help is very appreciated!!!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd start with the basic troubleshooting stuff first, before digging into the engine too far. Make sure it has fuel and spark. Is the check engine light on? Have you scanned it for any fault codes?

adkins417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It does have a cel. On haven't scanned it yet. I plan on checking for fuel and spark as well as the cam synchronizer before I dig into the timing cover. It just sounds a little off when cranking, which leads me to believe that it's possibly out of time. Luckily from what I have read these are non interference engines. Hopefully I will know more this weekend. For $500 I couldn't pass it up because it's an 05 in good shape and rust free, just gotta get it running!

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Crank it for a few seconds, then remove the easiest to get to spark plug; see if it's wet. That's a quick way to identify you have fuel.

As stated, start with the basics. Check for fuel, check for spark, then go after any incorrect timing type issues.

The 3.0 is famous for cam sensor issues after about 80K on a cam sensor.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never seen an engine not run due to a "failing camshaft sensor" I have seen them run really rough and not accelerate at all. I have seen a failed crank shaft sensor cause a no start situation. Check your CEL code and then work from there, as for jumping time, I have seen a 3.0 with 250K+ miles with slop in the timing chain, and it still ran decent, the only other option to "jump timing" is if the cam or CPS gear has extreme wear on it, and if that is the case, it can easily shear the CPS teeth and then its goodbye oil pressure. I have seen this several times as this describes the dreaded CPS failure issue with the 3.0

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals