• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ford Ranger Airbag Issues

Tejas TJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My airbags deployed on my 2002 Ford Ranger. I replaced the passenger seat-belt pretension device, but the driver side didn't go off during the accident. I then bought a "good" used Restraint Control Module off Ebay from a 2002 Ford Ranger, same year as mine and with the same # as mine (1L5A-14B321-AD) but it has a different mfg date (mine 10/02/2001 vs the one I bought 05/28/2002). Now, with the restraint control module I bought used, the airbag light stays on without blinking at all when I turn the truck on. Do you think I getting the original airbag restraint control module reset would fix the issue or is there something else going on?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, I do not think you should send us your original module for repair. We don't do that, we are just a bunch of assholes on the internet sharing our opinions on shit.

A solid light with no LFC usually indicates the module isn't communicating on the network. Assuming the one you installed was good the fuse may be blown, or the module may need programmed.

Tejas TJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry about that, I copied that from an email to an airbag module repair guy on eBay.

I'll put my old module back in tomorrow and see what it does. After repair the seatbelt I put my module in, hoping that's all I had to do but it flashed 5 sets with 9 flashes. I couldn't find any information about that.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tejas:

It won't be 9 flashes, it would be 2 and 7 or 4 and 5. Then with the 27 or 45 code, you would be able to search for it on the web. (Just trying to be helpful @$$ hole on internet :) ).

Do you have the passenger's airbag replaced with one of same number? Same for the seat belt tensioner? Lastly, does the passenger seat belt on/off switch light come on?

I was able to just swap modules with one of exact same part number, but different manufacture date successfully. (I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of both though; we might see something you missed...)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals