• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Benefit of a tune on a stock 4.0 OHV?

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
Basically, I just bought a 95 ranger with the 4.0 OHV V6 that I don't know jack diddly about... The truck has plenty of power and actually isn't too hard on fuel(so far I average 20-ish mpg)... Could it be improved on by getting an X-Cal and a tune? Or would such gains be so minimal that it doesn't justify the cost?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I got ~20 mpg out of my 4.0L I'd leave it alone. At $350+ I think it'd take a while to pay for itself, assuming that you even saw gains from it. If it were a modded engine, or you were up sizing tires (may not apply to 95), or were after better shift points then it might be worth it. Regardless if I were getting ~20 mpg it'd be a hard sell.

Just my 2 cent.

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Let me rephrase... I can get into the low to mid twenties when I keep my foot out...(the ultra gauge has reported as high as 27-28mpg on trips where I just cruised at 55-ish and didn't change speed much, but I haven't managed to do a whole tank like that yet)... Is there any significant gain to be had(either efficiency or power) to be had with getting a tune? I do plan on towing/hauling some with it and I do play with it from time to time(don't we all?)...

EDIT: the truck is a 95 4.0, being the first year for EEC-V control... Maybe it was a Cali truck?

Last edited:

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Bump, any more info about getting an X-Cal and tune for an EEC-V controlled 95 ranger, 2wd, 4.0/5 speed? Power/efficiency gains to be had?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals