• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recommendations on a gasket set?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
I have an 05 B3000 and i have a check engine light on for a miss in cylinder 4, done plugs and wires, did a compression test and it has lower compression than the rest of the cylinders. I have to pull the heads next, I'm thinking/hoping its a bad valve or valve seat. So I was wondering what gasket set manufacturer you guys have used, and what kind of experiences you've had. I have always used fel-pro. But curious as to what else is out there. Also any recommendations on head bolts. Fyi the truck has 108k and was originally a rental vehicle

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
FelPro or Ford and new Ford head bolts.

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
pay close attention to the condition of the head when disassembled... if there are any signs of the exhaust valves receding save yourself a headache and do both sides. It would be a shame to fix the problem only to have it reoccur soon afterwards on the other bank. Some may say it's a lot of unnecessary work, but I really hate doing the same job twice.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I use fel-pro gaskets when I had my 3.0 out awhile back. I didn't do a full rebuild but I did replace the following gaskets/seals:

-Oil pan gasket
-Valve cover gaskets/grommets
-Rear main seal
-Upper intake gasket

Aside from a small leak into the bellhousing (which I can't find for the life of me, seems to be motor oil, on the tranny side of the aluminum plate thingy) the engine is dry. The only thing to note is that on the valve covers and oil pan gasket there are two spots which need sealant (I used high-temp orange RTV), which are the transitions between the block and cylinder heads/timing cover. Just a little dab.

mikersoft

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use fel-pro gaskets when I had my 3.0 out awhile back. I didn't do a full rebuild but I did replace the following gaskets/seals:

-Oil pan gasket
-Valve cover gaskets/grommets
-Rear main seal
-Upper intake gasket

Aside from a small leak into the bellhousing (which I can't find for the life of me, seems to be motor oil, on the tranny side of the aluminum plate thingy) the engine is dry. The only thing to note is that on the valve covers and oil pan gasket there are two spots which need sealant (I used high-temp orange RTV), which are the transitions between the block and cylinder heads/timing cover. Just a little dab.
Sounds like I've got the same mysterious leak! :D

I had my 3.0 out late last year & did a near total rebuild (pretty much everything except short block). An occasional drop of fluid forms at the very bottom of the bell housing on the back side of the rectangular opening. At first, I thought for sure we damaged the clutch slave cylinder when we put the engine back in. However, the fluid level in the master cylinder hasn't dropped at all & upon closer inspection of the leaking fluid, it appears to be darker than I thought (more like oil). I'm stumped for now, but it'll have to wait till spring..

-Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
pay close attention to the condition of the head when disassembled... if there are any signs of the exhaust valves receding save yourself a headache and do both sides. It would be a shame to fix the problem only to have it reoccur soon afterwards on the other bank. Some may say it's a lot of unnecessary work, but I really hate doing the same job twice.
I already planned on doing both heads, I kinda suspect there may be a valve issue.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Sounds like I've got the same mysterious leak! :D

I had my 3.0 out late last year & did a near total rebuild (pretty much everything except short block). An occasional drop of fluid forms at the very bottom of the bell housing on the back side of the rectangular opening. At first, I thought for sure we damaged the clutch slave cylinder when we put the engine back in. However, the fluid level in the master cylinder hasn't dropped at all & upon closer inspection of the leaking fluid, it appears to be darker than I thought (more like oil). I'm stumped for now, but it'll have to wait till spring..

-Mike
Sounds like it (except I have an automatic).

I do know my valve cover grommets for the PCV and oil cap tube seep/leak but I have yet to find said grommets. As for the leak, no idea...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
Ordered my gasket set and head bolts this morning. less than $100 through rock auto.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals