• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Benz om617

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I also have a explorer 8.8 with discs and a 64 inch leaf kit on it and factory 2 inch block i dont remember the height gave me but it flexed like a mofo same location pm me if interested i know what the kit is worth its all built out of 1/4 plate just need the 1/2" bolts and it will bolt in i thing there is 2 holes per side to drill took me a day with the box off i was driving at night... ill even throw in the drive shaft spacer so your factory drive shaft just wont vibrate

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have been working in the shop at other stuff and have the Mercedes motor and trans just sitting there taking up space... It has a rebuilt top end was just done 2 days before i rolled the truck, including resurfacing the head being ground flat valves lapped and resealed, new head gasket and head bolts new thermostat, intake was steamed out egr deleted, new water pump, its got new glow plugs done with head.. i have it coupled to a fm145 brand new clutch components used when put together, with it a manual borg warner that came with the 145... it has the motor mounts still on it that fit it in a 1991 ranger that had a 2.9 in it. IF some one is interested please pm me with what you wanna pay me id package it on a pallet but im located in brandon manitoba canada its a solid unit i would love to build another ranger but the time i dedicated the first time i just done have and cant store it in there forever pm me if interested
PM sent

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
purchased a 1989 Ranger supercab today very solid and low km and no options on an xlt other than ps and pb. perfect donor for my 2.4 MB/OM616 engine. had been looking for a while and almost gave up and sold my powerplant but the mrs told me to hang onto it! very nice cab and frame, clean interior , outer body not so good but solid?

now I have to buy the adapter plate and get started, already discussed with the plate builder and it fits the 616 also just need to remote the oil filter. no problems.

patience pays off sometimes, I even got the interior colour and option package I wanted :icon_thumby:

a very good Friday and my diesel van>driver rolled 500,000 just before we got there to see the ranger :yahoo:

cheers James

Attachments

my94ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Working Ac and trans preference?

Is there anyway that you are able to have ac with this setup? Would be a nice creature comfort but not at all necessary. What are some good trans options that people seem to be happy with? Want to put a manual behind the diesel and what are some easy options that you guys are doing? Thanks

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not putting any option on mine.

was going to look at a 1982 MB 300TD wagon this weekend with a 2.4 diesel auto but seller never got back to me so I'm not sure if its sold or ? ad is still up........

I already have a 2.4 diesel 4spd but a spare motor with automatic trans would be an easy install into my ranger. might be able to drop in the 2.4w/auto trans over a long weekend. :icon_thumby:

would be slow but can always swap in a manual trans later? :icon_idea:

Last edited:

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic

was going to look at a 1982 MB 300TD wagon this weekend with a 2.4 diesel auto but seller never got back to me so I'm not sure if its sold or ? ad is still up........

I already have a 2.4 diesel 4spd but a spare motor with automatic trans would be an easy install into my ranger. might be able to drop in the 2.4w/auto trans over a long weekend. :icon_thumby:

got it:yahoo:

paid for and have ownership and receipt, picking it up Sat or sun. price was right! started up and ran minty, trans nice and crisp to engage shut off working perfect. not sure if the wife is going to let me take it off the trailer or not. might have to cut its heart out while its sleeping on the trailer:icon_rofl:

now I will go with the automatic trans and possible do the manual swap at a later date....................under 250,000km :icon_thumby:rusted out junk not worth repairing, seller realized that to late into the project.

that was a good Sunday:beer:

my94ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

2 or 4wd? Ive got 4wd and I'm trying to find an easy trans/transfercase to put behind it. no way my auto that came in it would work would it?

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
finally found someone who wants the remnants of my 2.4 diesel wagon after I pull the engine trans. have the shop at work tied up Saturday and the overhead crane bay reserved.
pulling engine/trans starting at 9am. hopefully loading up the shell on my trailer for delivery sat night.
had the car advertised online since Nov 11, guy called monday wants whats left of the car isn't even 10 miles away from my work. I put my phone number at the bottom of my ad so people just surfing on an iPhone would never get that far. it worked. :D

will try and get some pics of the powertrain removal. only getting 21mpg with the 2.9 auto supercab ranger right now. hopefully 35-40 with the diesel?

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
2 or 4wd? Ive got 4wd and I'm trying to find an easy trans/transfercase to put behind it. no way my auto that came in it would work would it?
2wd 89 ranger supercab xlt 3.45 ratio 7.5" rear 154,000km on it. no toys on it! ps and pb that's it. the lightweight version of this truck.

the Mercedes 4spd auto is not an overdrive trans, so I figure I will either need to go a lot larger tire or switch to a 3.00 or higher ratio . I think I even have an old bronco 9" I could put into it if necessary.

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
finally got back on here.
engine pulled from the MB and sold the rest of the car for what I paid for it WITH the engine> wasn't expecting that :yahoo:

now I just have to get the wife winter explorer back on the road so I can get my ranger back. she loves driving the little truck:icon_confused: its loud/slow but is pretty good in the snow even w/2wd and no posi.

should get started on the swap in the next 2 weeks.

looking forward to driving the truck with a diesel in it. hopefully wife doesn't like the smell, or I might not get to drive it much.

this is the first pickup she has driven, she grew up in Toronto but learned to drive in a military 6x6 in the armed forces reserve.

I'll have to load pics to photobucket, don't seem to be able to load here.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well I never sold my powertrain and there is a 91 2wd staring me in the face.. the wife is pregnant so I have a feeling if I don't buy it now may be a few years before I get the chance again... anyone watching this done a sas? I don't want it way up in the air but need diff to clear oil pan iif I do this.. I want to go leaf spring just because of the weight of motor.. also what front axle would handle it's weight that wouldn't need to be shorten? May be all smoke but I miss my ranger

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
WellI've been given permission to buy the Ranger. . By permission I mean being told to go buy it and quit talking about it all the time.. so I'll be starting this thread up again with a new truck 91 super cab auto 2wd and will be converting it to the diesel power train inbuilt before but this time will be doing the mounting differently and hopefully converting it to a solid axle in the front

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
WellI've been given permission to buy the Ranger. . By permission I mean being told to go buy it and quit talking about it all the time.. so I'll be starting this thread up again with a new truck 91 super cab auto 2wd and will be converting it to the diesel power train inbuilt before but this time will be doing the mounting differently and hopefully converting it to a solid axle in the front
a dana35 TTB is plenty strong> they can even stay togehter under a 5.0 unless you want to run 35s or biger. 1st gen explorers are prety cheap when they are rotted out. then you get an 8.8 rear too...........

glad to hear you will be reusing it! and that wife is a keeper:icon_thumby:

my ranger isn't swapped yet, wife likes driving it as is too much:annoyed:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I have a 8.8 from amy explorer already I want solid axle in the front I want the leaf springs after I had the issues with weight last time with the 0m617 I want to be able to mess with leaf packs it's easier then coils and bags. I think on the 11th I'm going to get the truck hopefully he holds on to it till then

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have an old jeep cj 44 with disc brakes on leafs but it dumps on the wrong side. but its worth nothing

not much on leafs anymore. unless you want fullsize 3/4ton axles. Ford hasn't used 1/2ton axles on leafs since the 78/79 F150 supercab 4x4 and they were 5x5.5 not the 5x4.5 like ranger/exploder

if you weren't a couple provinces away I could probably set something up with you . shipping on axles is BIG!:sad:

I lost my fleet of southern 65-79 Fseries and broncos almost 4yrs ago now but have been slowly winding down my axles and parts inventory that were not inside the barns when they burnt. spilled milk ......................:beer:

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals