• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

e85 changes for the 3.0?

js314bs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there anything that was compromised in the adapting of the 3.0 to make it flex fuel compatible, or is it all sensor input and ecu tweaking?
Is it normal for a flex fuel engine to expierience mild detonation on regular gas and smooth running on higher percentage ethanol, or is this a question of sensors dying a slow death (ten years 72000 miles)?
Tried cleaing out the engine following the ford tsb to decarbon upper engines, no smoke no crud came out still had mild detonation. Ran a tank of e85 through no det. smoothest the engine has ever run. On second tank of regular after that and it might be a little better but det. still there under very nice driving. Oh and I do follow the guidelines to run for a period of time at above 3500 to help the engine clean itself.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First, there were several differences between flex fuel 3.0's and standard 3.0's. Most had to do with the fuel delivery system ( higher flow injectors, different materials throughout the fuel system). I think the primary cause in your case, is the flex fuel cylinder heads. The flex fuel heads had a smaller combustion chamber which increases the compression ratio. That higher comp. ratio increases the likleyhood of pinging when running on a lower octane fuel such as regular gasoline. My truck had pinging issues when I ran it on gasoline all the time. I run my truck primarily on e-85 now, and it hasn't pinged in years.

js314bs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
D***, only 1 station with e85 and 16 miles away and only a 14% price spread.
Thank you I've tried looking around and nothing stated specifically that in a well mantained flex fuel vehicle the slightly higher compression could cause detonation. I thought ford designed these to work on the lowest quality gas and would have tried to make changes (e85 compatable) that would have mantained that.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Throw in a 180* thermostat and do the intake manifold hot water bypass mod and your pinging will be reduced significantly.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Run several tanks of E-85 through it, it'll do wonders for the character of the truck. My truck would lightly ping on 89 with the 180 t-stat. After a half dozen tanks of E-85, I can run 87 without any pinging. The truck also runs smoother and gained power. E-85 is the best injector cleaner there is.

Change your fuel filter after 2 or 3 tanks.

js314bs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I kind of figured the e85 was cleaning out the engine, but I'm only able to get over there once every other week (300 miles out of 1100-1400). It does make a difference on the first tank after switching back, but then goes back to the same, so there is some crud somewhere.
Why are there coolant lines run through the intake? I know on older carb vehicles the fuel might condense if it gets cold enough in the intake, but on mpfi vehicles what good does it do?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals