• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 4.0 EFI ranger not responding when giving it gas when shifting gears or long idle

carrzkiss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
85 ford ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1995 4.0 EFI when I start driving it down the road, it seems to not want to take any gas. When I am pushing the gas pedal, it is as if no gas goes to the engine.

When it is idling, I can rev it up, and it does as it supposed to do. After about 10 minutes of idling, it will do the same thing and I am unable to rev it back up, I will have to turn off the ignition and then start it back up, and it will run fine for a minute or so, and then do it again, as if it is not getting any gas at all. This all happens, only when the truck is running after a while.

When I first take it out on the road, it will do fine in first gear, and then into second, however when I try to go into third, it acts as if it is getting no gas, no matter how many time that I press on the gas pedal. Then on the way home, I will have to drive a short distance, pull over on the side of the road, turn the ignition off, then start it back up, and drive a little further, and repeat the same thing, until I get home.

Things that I have done to this truck since November 2013. (It was broke down for over 2 years)

The following are new
Fuel Pump and assembly
Idle Air Control Valve
Spark Plugs
Oxygen sensor (Bank 1 sensor 1 Oxygen)
Fuel Filter

Area's that was cleaned with the appropriate cleaners.
MAF Sensor
Throttle Body

Used sea foam. And this made a HUGE difference in the way the truck was acting. However, it did not clear this issue, but others.

Anybody have any idea's on what could be causing the truck to loose its gas peddle during driving?

Thank you
Wayne

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would get/rent a fuel pressure gauge just to get that issue off the table.
You should have 35-45psi with engine running, and 30-40psi with engine off.

With the things you have done already, my best guess would be your exhaust is clogged up, collapsed Cat or muffler.
If possible feel the tail pipe flow while someone revs engine up and down.
Or you can use a vacuum gauge to see if exhaust is plugged up, gauge hooked up to intake should read about 18in at idle, when throttle is quickly opened then closed gauge should drop to 0 then pop back up to 18 quickly, if it doesn't drop to 0 and vacuum comes back slowly to 18 then exhaust is plugged.

I have known a few mechanics who would pull out the O2 sensors(opens exhaust flow out that hole) to test for a clogged exhaust, its loud but if you can drive it and rev it then clogged exhaust is what the problem is.

Clogged exhaust also wouldn't cause any trouble codes, you don't mention the CEL(check engine light) coming on so I assume it hasn't?

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I agree with Ron. Sounds like an exhaust restriction. Sometimes you can tell they are bad because they can get very red while the motor is running. Or sometimes you can pound it a little and hear that it's broken inside. Or, you may just need to get it pressure checked.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
This converter was one I took off my Mustang. You could hear it rattle if you beat on it. Needless to say, the Stang was not a happy camper.

carrzkiss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
85 ford ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have known a few mechanics who would pull out the O2 sensors(opens exhaust flow out that hole) to test for a clogged exhaust, its loud but if you can drive it and rev it then clogged exhaust is what the problem is.

Clogged exhaust also wouldn't cause any trouble codes, you don't mention the CEL(check engine light) coming on so I assume it hasn't?
Hey Ron and everyone else.
I did the above, I just removed the O2 Sensor that I recently replaced.
The truck did the same thing, as in, it would cut off, almost like it is chocking off.

My son was at the back of the truck PRIOR to me removing the O2 Sensor, and he felt the exhaust, and there was little black bits hitting in on the hand.

Before I start ripping the exhaust apart, I would like to know for sure that, that is the issue, and not something else.
What would be causing it to seem as if it is chocking out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals