• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gears Help i have 3.73 want to go to 4.10 or even 4.56???

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
well i went from 3.73 to 4.10 on my 2.5.
first with 30"s and now with 31"s

all i can say is i love it and i wont go back to 3.73

u could get an axle with 4.10 gears, but since u have small tires, ull need to upgrade a bit so u still get some speed. some 225/70R15 will do a good improvement imo.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Since your in town delivering things I'd go with at least the 4.10. 4.56 still might be a little on the steep side on a truck sporting the 14's (but that has some wiggle room).

It might be easier or probably just as expensive to do the 8.8" swap compared to regearing the 7.5", especially if it's from a Ranger. you'll get the bigger brakes too.

What size tires are you currently running? I can do some comparisons.

Didn't you stick 31's on the back of your rig? And I can only assume your talking about the 2.3L.

I hope you can clear a few things up because that statement makes my head hurt.
Im referring to OP wanting to go to 4.10 with 14" tires ,his off the line would be quicker ,but he will be shift out of gears sooner & his top speed would be lower & his Fuel Economy will be much less. Thats only if he stays with 14" stock size tires. With larger tires like 31s then 4.10s would be great.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Im referring to OP wanting to go to 4.10 with 14" tires ,his off the line would be quicker ,but he will be shift out of gears sooner & his top speed would be lower & his Fuel Economy will be much less. Thats only if he stays with 14" stock size tires. With larger tires like 31s then 4.10s would be great.
Oh, I see.

Even still, quick shifts are not that bad. My DD is a 2001 Saturn SL, I shift into 5th at 45mph. How bad can it really be? It's just shifting, push in clutch, move lever. The only people I have heard complain about any of that are those who drive auto's.

And his fuel economy will be higher. He has stated he does alot of stop and go driving (City) with a very limited top speed, or at least doesn't drive fast for very long. Besides, it's a friggen 2.3L, let it rev. Gears will make it much easier to get moving contributing to more CITY mpg.

And HWY fuel economy will not be that much less (even IF it is less), it's only going to change a few hundred RPM at top speed. again, 2.3L.

I've got 235/75R15's on mine and I'm going from 3.73 to 4.56. So it'll rev about 3K at 70 but it doesn't matter much because I'm stuck in 4th around 3K anyways to get anywhere. The truck does very few stints on the highway and I'm usually pulling something. It only changes my RPM 550 higher at 70 MPH. His will be closer to 250 with 3.73 to 4.10, at speed.

The clutch. The OP mentioned this as a concern and it's very legitimate. I have roasted my clutch maneuvering trailers out in the field, my tires had all the grip in the world, but my clutch kept breaking loose. Deeper gears will ease the amount of stress on the clutch to get the truck moving.

The OP said he want's more off the line performance, gears will do that. It all depends on how far he's willing to take it and put up with it. The only merit your argument has is the fuel economy, and really that's slanted more on the larger engined side of things and also the highway.

Picture this, "4cylinders 2.3L @ 3,000 RPM" compare that to "8 cylinders, 4.6L @ 1,500 RPM". Doesn't sound so bad now does it? Gears have everything going for him.

Gear it and thrash it.

Last edited:

greatwolf222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well the door says the axle code is 87 or 86 i dont know i swaped the doors a while back but i remember that it was a 3.73 7.5'' rear end it wouldnt suprise me if it has 3.43 or 3.08
its pretty bad in the city i feel like i have to ride the clutch so long just to get started

greatwolf222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Oh, I see.

Even still, quick shifts are not that bad. My DD is a 2001 Saturn SL, I shift into 5th at 45mph. How bad can it really be? It's just shifting, push in clutch, move lever. The only people I have heard complain about any of that are those who drive auto's.

And his fuel economy will be higher. He has stated he does alot of stop and go driving (City) with a very limited top speed, or at least doesn't drive fast for very long. Besides, it's a friggen 2.3L, let it rev. Gears will make it much easier to get moving contributing to more CITY mpg.

And HWY fuel economy will not be that much less (even IF it is less), it's only going to change a few hundred RPM at top speed. again, 2.3L.

I've got 235/75R15's on mine and I'm going from 3.73 to 4.56. So it'll rev about 3K at 70 but it doesn't matter much because I'm stuck in 4th around 3K anyways to get anywhere. The truck does very few stints on the highway and I'm usually pulling something. It only changes my RPM 550 higher at 70 MPH. His will be closer to 250 with 3.73 to 4.10, at speed.

The clutch. The OP mentioned this as a concern and it's very legitimate. I have roasted my clutch maneuvering trailers out in the field, my tires had all the grip in the world, but my clutch kept breaking loose. Deeper gears will ease the amount of stress on the clutch to get the truck moving.

The OP said he want's more off the line performance, gears will do that. It all depends on how far he's willing to take it and put up with it. The only merit your argument has is the fuel economy, and really that's slanted more on the larger engined side of things and also the highway.

Picture this, "4cylinders 2.3L @ 3,000 RPM" compare that to "8 cylinders, 4.6L @ 1,500 RPM". Doesn't sound so bad now does it? Gears have everything going for him.

Gear it and thrash it.
so you think i could get away with 4.56? in maybe a 8.8 rear end?

and how hard would it be to find a 8.8 whit a 4.56 and posi

RangerNtheWoods

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Originally Posted by nb11
heck, just go ahead and go with 4.56's, 35's, sas, and v8 swap. Then you can deliver pizza anywhere, thus maximizing your profits!

agreed!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
so you think i could get away with 4.56? in maybe a 8.8 rear end?

and how hard would it be to find a 8.8 whit a 4.56 and posi
Tell me what tire size your running and I'll post up some numbers.

4.56 will definitely be quick, but with anything on a 14" rim you really need to be prepared on how it will effect your top end.

greatwolf222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i have brand new snow tires in the back 225/70/R14 i think

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i have brand new snow tires in the back 225/70/R14 i think
Alrighty then (that sounds about right, they did offer a few variants on the 14" tire sizes), all numbers are approximate and will differ slightly from the real world.

Stock: 3.73's
4th
  • 60 MPH - 2850 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 3325 RPM
5th
  • 60 MPH - 2250 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 2625 RPM
--------------------------------------------
4.10's
4th
  • 60 MPH - 3125 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 3650 RPM
5th
  • 60 MPH - 2475 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 2890 RPM
4.30's (8.8" only)
4th
  • 60 MPH - 3275 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 3825 RPM
5th
  • 60 MPH - 2600 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 3025 RPM
4.56's
4th
  • 60 MPH - 3475 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 4075 RPM
5th
  • 60 MPH - 2750 RPM
  • 70 MPH - 3200 RPM

Again, I've done a slight bit of rounding but the numbers should hold fairly true.

So cruise around at those engine RPM's and see how high you can tolerate driving down our nations fine interstates. I threw in the 4.30's just for giggles and grins. I honestly believe the 2.3L is good for 3K sustained RPM's.

As you can notice, if you really don't drive faster than 60 MPH, you actually could make 4.56's work. But that depends on your driving style. Just be prepared if you ever do drive 70+. That drastic of a gear will definitely effect your highway mileage at faster speeds.

I do suggest the 8.8 swap though, even if (really especially) it's from a Ranger. It'll be damn near bolt in and won't have the spider gear issues a 7.5" has. And multiplying the torque that much through the diff even with a 2.3L is going to shorten their life span.

A stock 8.8 likely will not have deeper than 4.10, but supposedly 4.56's are out there. To my knowledge, NOBODY has found one. On the upside, 4.10s are fairly common with a touch of patience.

If you decide to do further mods down the road, the 8.8" will allow you much more options.

I priced out the differences heavily for my axle build, interestingly enough, for a 7.5" vs 8.8", the costs for a complete rebuild with comparable parts (gears, install kit, differential, brakes, wheel bearings, seals, everything) was literally the exact same cost. You might as well start with a stronger rear end.

Anything else?

Last edited:

greatwolf222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
wow...no that every thing i could have ever asked for on this thread my hats off to you, :icon_thumby:thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals