• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Passive Theft System Wiring

Pineywoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 Ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1997 Ranger with all wire harnesses, a 1998 Explorer doner car, and a 2000 Explorer 5.0. Do I need to use the Explorer dash harness to satisfy the PTS requirements? I found the tech article which was invaluable, but am not sure how to connect the systems.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The PATS(passive anti-theft system) is part of the Computer and in 1998 PATS module system.

So which year computer will you be using for the V8?

1998 to 2001 Explorers used PATS Type B, which had separate PATS module(above glove box) that was "married" to the computer in that vehicle.
"Married" means they are a match set, you can't use one without the other and if you need to swap either one the new part needs to be "remarried" by a Ford Dealer.

EEC-V(Ford computer) programmers can eliminate PATS from the computer, also taylor make the "Tune" you want for your driving habits.
You would have to check around for that pricing, this would allow you to keep current 1997 Ranger door and ignition keys as is.

PATS uses transponder keys, RFID tag in the Black plastic handle, no batteries required.
The ignition cylinder has an antenna loop around it, a transceiver, when you turn on the key this antenna "reads" the unique Tag numbers that comes from the PATS key.
The PATS module is connected to the antenna, it will have 3 PATS key numbers in its memory, these were programmed in at the factory, to match the 3 keys that came with the new vehicle.
If PATS module has a Match for the Key being used in the ignition then it sends a verification code number to the computer, this number changes each time key is turned on, so not a simple "yes/no" that can be bypassed, computer and PATS module share an encryption key, look up RSA encryption, thats the "married" part.
If Computer gets the correct verification code/key then it turns on fuel pump and will turn on fuel injectors when key is turned to START.
With no verification or the wrong code/key the computer won't turn on the fuel to the engine.
Starter Motor disable relay was also used in some years, so no crank along with no fuel.

So the parts for PATS are
The matching PATS keys for the PATS module
The antenna loop around the ignition cylinder and its wiring to the PATS Module
The PATS Module and its wiring to the computer

There is also the RAP module(Remote Anti-theft Personality module), this is the keyless entry system and it is also connected to the PATS module, but I think it is just for the Theft light use
Wiring diagram in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/anti-theft-light-flashing-on-dash-car-wont-start.230995/page-3

The two "Data Link" wires in drawing go to the Computer(PCM)

Last edited:

Pineywoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 Ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have:
2000 Explorer 5.0 engine with computer and wire harnesses.
1998 Eddie Bauer Explorer complete, all wheel drive car with keyless entry (key pad on door).
I was going to use 98 steering column, 2000 5.0 engine, computer and wiring harness. Just wondered if I need to remove 97 Ranger dash and swap wire harnesses.

Pineywoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 Ranger
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that you could program PTS away

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unless you think you need it in your area, i.e. high car theft area, it is worth seeing what a programmer would charge to remove it.

Never used him but check here: http://www.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm

Knight1977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unless you think you need it in your area, i.e. high car theft area, it is worth seeing what a programmer would charge to remove it.

Never used him but check here: http://www.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm

Ron,

I just contacted Mike and let me tell you, he’s a GREAT guy. Told him my issues with the PATS system in my 01 ranger and he straight up did not ask any questions, simply told me how to get around it and didn’t charge me a dime. Then continued to tell me that if it didn’t work to bring him the truck and he would gladly help me with it at a very minimal charge. Keep in mind, I have never met this gentleman and only talked to him for less than 2 minutes explaining my issue. I HIGHLY recommend this man and his business if you are anywhere close to the New Orleans area and need any type of tuning work done. He also has a Mustang Dyno with FULL tuning capabilities for any vehicle made that runs OBD-1 or newer ECM’s. Thanks for sharing his page and info for us “not so computer savvy” gear heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for that info, good to know :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals