• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1979 302 into 1999 Ranger?

Spurs234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It's all just nuts and bolts
Hey guys, just trying to figure out what all would need to be done to put a carbureted 302 in to a 1999 ranger. I can buy this 79 302 for $240. I'm going to rebuild it but I'm coming to yall to find out what all would need to be done to the truck to fit the motor in it. I have read the article on here about swapping one in to a ranger but its only covers the years 1983-1997. I know its going to be a lot of time but its ok, that's what I got this truck for as a project truck. What all would I have to do to put the motor in the ranger and what would be the easiest transmission to put behind the motor and fit in the ranger? Any help would be appreciated.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Honestly. I would just find a donor explorer from a 99-01. It will be a pretty much a direct drop in. All of the fab work is done from ford because the ranger engine bay is the same as the explorer. Look at the how to tech section on this site. I have a 5.0 swap article in there installing a 2000 expo 5.0 into a 98 ranger. It is not hard at all. fastpakr and mike.oswald.3979 are currently in the process of doing a 5.0 swap also.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is well known that I hate carbs in general. That said, it is generally much much simpler to stay with the same type of fuel delivery the vehicle had to begin with, in this case fuel injection.

Craig is right. $240 for an engine is a good price, but by the time you get it in and running you will have much more time, money and frustration in that $240 engine than you would in buying an Explorer for the power train.

Spurs234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It's all just nuts and bolts
well the problem is that around here it's hard to find a explorer with a 5.0 and to buy the whole vehicle near here, people want a arm and leg. I like carburated engines because it elemenates a whole bunch of computer crap and electrical junk most modern cars use. The reason I want a carb engine is to get rid of all the wiring crap in the truck and I like them because there simple. I appreciate the input guys let's keep it coming.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
well the problem is that around here it's hard to find a explorer with a 5.0 and to buy the whole vehicle near here, people want a arm and leg. I like carburated engines because it elemenates a whole bunch of computer crap and electrical junk most modern cars use. The reason I want a carb engine is to get rid of all the wiring crap in the truck and I like them because there simple. I appreciate the input guys let's keep it coming.
Where do you live at in Texas. I searched dallas craigslist and saw 7 different expo's and mountaineers from 1200 and down for the whole vehicle.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A carb setup will do just fine. It will also be easier then trying to wire stuff. Not to mentuon, a properly tuned carb with a functioning choke (i prefer auto chokes myself) will start in cold just fine. The small MPG advantage with EFI im guessing is a null point with this, as is the huge gain in emissions. Not sure how itll work with the key antitheft stuff though.

That being said, i cant help you with specfics as far as what needs to be changed. That being said the eaisest trannys to run would be a C4 if you dont care about O/D, or an AOD if you want O/D. As far as fuel delivery, you can use the stock pump but make sure you use a good regulator with a return line, carbs only need like 6psi fuel pressure compared to an EFIs 40psi+

Also though,, im not sure what engine you have now, but if you have a 4.0, swapping in a 79 302 youll actually be losing power (if you keep it stock). They were rated at like 120hp/230ftlbs IIRC. If it were me, id look for a mid 90s EFI 302 and just swap the carb stuff onto it.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A carb setup will do just fine. It will also be easier then trying to wire stuff. Not to mentuon, a properly tuned carb with a functioning choke (i prefer auto chokes myself) will start in cold just fine. The small MPG advantage with EFI im guessing is a null point with this, as is the huge gain in emissions. Not sure how itll work with the key antitheft stuff though..
I do agree you would be better off finding a newer efi 5.0 and run a carb on it if you wanted to stay with a carb. Stock hp on 99-01 5.0 215/285tq. But the efi 5.0 99-01 has very little wiring to do. Such as:
A/C high pressure switch, Solenoid wire plug, and tachometer. That is about it. Everything else is plug and play into the ranger. I did mine in two weekends and every gauge, light, and accessory works just like my 4.0 was in there and all I did was plug the 5.0 42 pin main connector into my 4.0 42 pin main connector with wiring those three things up. You already have pats so that is a non-issue. The expo/mountaineer came with the same 4.0 setup as the ranger which is why the conversion has very little wiring involved. If you bought a whole donor efi 5.0 it would be a lot easier. You are still going to have to wire in tach, temp, oil, speedo, and some other stuff after you do the carb swap. But hey to each is own. Do what you feel is right for you. I hope this info helps you out.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not for a 40 year old 120hp core. :fie:
If its just a core no, that's about 1.5 times too much, but if it was a running engine that he was going to rebuild simply because it is already out, that's a different story.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If its just a core no, that's about 1.5 times too much, but if it was a running engine that he was going to rebuild simply because it is already out, that's a different story.
IMO if it is a rebuildable engine that you are going to rebuild... its a core.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals