• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jeep Dana 35 LS into TTB Dana 35 front end?

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hey guys, have a few questions. Don't know much about the issue at hand so I apologize for any stupidity on my part. :icon_thumby:

I've heard that the Jeep Dana 35 rear solid axle's carrier can be put in a Ranger TTB Dana 35 front axle; supposing you found a Jeep D35 L/S clutch based unit, you could put it in the TTB Dana 35.

Is this true and if so what does it involve? A TTB Dana 35 would be reverse rotation, correct? Would this mean you need a carrier from a reverse rotation Dana 35 solid axle? Does that even exist? Or do you just take the LS carrier and use the spider gears and reverse rotation ring and pinion from the TTB Dana 35 to make it work?

Thanks.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You just need the differential unit (a.k.a. Carrier) itself. The rotation direction (cut of the R&P gears) doesn't matter, both gear types will fit onto it (just like with an ARB #RD102 locker, for example, it fits both the Jeep axle and the Ford TTB axle).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
To clarify, the gears should be reverse cut for the front axle. But the carrier would be the same.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
There's a little more to it: The TTB carrier requires a 3.55+ carrier. Even taller gears (3.27, etc) on the TTB use the 3.55 and numerically higher carrier. It also should be a c-clip carrier, but just in case it isn't you would need to do the E-clip eliminator mod. Jeep axles use a c-clip, TTB's use an E-clip, it's a shaft difference, not a carrier difference.

But yes, a Jeep carrier will work. Just swap the TTB ring gear onto it and replace it the same way the old one came out. Don't touch the pinion unless you need to or you just like making things a bit more difficult.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks guys!! I love this forum and thanks as always for all the responses

All that makes sense. So basically I would just need to order a 3.55 and higher L/S carrier for the Jeep Dana 35 application, would obviously need my reverse cut ring, pinion, and spider gears (I would be running 4.10 in my case), new clutch and shim kit, and an e clip eliminator kit?

So if I had a TTB Dana 35 chunk with 4.10 gears, I could just put the ring gear onto the new carrier and not have to re setup ring and pinion? They would mesh fine?

I have a strong feeling finding a Dana 35 4.10 front chunk may be difficult to do (I have a D28 now), which would mean I probably have to get a set of 4.10 reverse cut gears for a D35 chunk and set up ring and pinion anyway... I am just curious whether you can avoid re setting them up if you already had the 4.10 chunk in my case (which is what it sounds like you're saying)

Thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You will need to check & adjust the gear backlash and carrier bearing preload when you change the carrier (setting it to what it was previously). As long as you don't touch the pinion gear, that should be all you have to do.

Best bets for a 4.10 D35 chunk is 1990-1992 4-cyl Rangers (4WD of course... Be aware a few '90s still had the old-style D28 though). Occasionally 2.9L trucks with an auto trans got 4.10 D35s also (same year range).

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks guys!! I love this forum and thanks as always for all the responses

All that makes sense. So basically I would just need to order a 3.55 and higher L/S carrier for the Jeep Dana 35 application, would obviously need my reverse cut ring, pinion, and spider gears (I would be running 4.10 in my case), new clutch and shim kit, and an e clip eliminator kit?

So if I had a TTB Dana 35 chunk with 4.10 gears, I could just put the ring gear onto the new carrier and not have to re setup ring and pinion? They would mesh fine?

I have a strong feeling finding a Dana 35 4.10 front chunk may be difficult to do (I have a D28 now), which would mean I probably have to get a set of 4.10 reverse cut gears for a D35 chunk and set up ring and pinion anyway... I am just curious whether you can avoid re setting them up if you already had the 4.10 chunk in my case (which is what it sounds like you're saying)

Thanks
1. You're welcome

2. Spider gears should come with the carrier. I would not purchase one that didn't. Get the standard shaft size, not the "super 35" carriers. An E-clip eliminator likely isn't a "kit", unless a member here is selling them on the site (Don't have time to check), it's a spring that slips over the splines on that middle slip shaft and keeps the shaft going into the differential housing, well, in the differential housing. Only necessary if you don't want to (or can't) put the E-clip back in. Make sure the carrier has provisions for a C-clip (it really should) and you're set.

3. If you had a D35 housing, all complete, then technically yes, with the exception of backlash mentioned. For a used gearset, regardless of what the specs say, measure the backlash before you take the carrier out and WRITE IT DOWN. Once you put the ring gear on the new carrier and reinstall, checkthe backlash again. It needs to be the SAME as before. If it isn't, you need a carrier shim kit. Sometimes you get lucky. I put an E-locker in the back of my GMC K2500 and tossed in the factory shims and it was spot on.

4. 4.10's from the factory are rarer but are out there. But yes, "reverse cut gears" or "High pinion gears", mention that they are for the front of a Ranger if you're calling some places. A lot of people get Jeeperitis, and think that because some part was used on a Jeep, it wasn't used on anything else, despite a LONG history of Jeeps using all sorts of parts from various manufacturers, including Ford, GM and Chrysler before AMC and earlier companies were ever bought out.. So you might have to set them up anyways. It can be done, there's a first time for everyone. But unless it's something you insist on knowing or you NEED it to work, or don't have time (and you WILL need time for the first one), might be best to have a shop do it.

Last edited:

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Great info, thanks Captain Ledd!

There's a D35 TTB front chunk with 3.27 gears at my local junkyard, which is closing and has sellout pricing right now, I'm going to see if I can get that for cheap and I'll pick away at this project for a bit and let you all know how it goes!

I understand that setting up a ring and pinion/ checking backlash etc is pretty highly skilled stuff, at least for a newb like me, but I would absolutely love to learn so I will be in no hurry to get it done and will take my time when I do go that route. Since my truck has a front differential right now that is in great shape and working fine there is no rush on swapping the D35 in there

Expect some stupid questions from your truly on that subject in the future :icon_rofl:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Just make sure you get both of the inner axle shafts that go into the diff with that chunk, they are different than your D28 ones (much larger spline). The outer shafts (and passengerside long shaft) are all the same, so no worries there.

There should be links in the FAQ within the Ranger Axles section to pages about setting up ring & pinion gears, which should give you something to go on if you want to start some research. :icon_thumby:

Your post probably fits better in Ranger Axles anyway since it's more about putting a Jeep part into a Ranger axle than about the Jeep axle itself, so I moved it there for you.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Read back through everything and I didn't see it mentioned specifically (I thought he was just swapping 35 for 35), but 4x4Junkie brings up a good point and we should make sure this guy has all the right/relevant info.

Cstarbard, do you currently have a true D35 in your truck?or do you have the D28 hybrid?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals