• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Alternator Bracket?

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Called Ford to price the alternator bracket listed in the tech articles and they wanted $347!!!!! Found out the bracket was used on late 80's stangs, cougars and t-birds.... Except I'm running a v-belt setup and it would appear these are for serpentine belts.... Still work for my app? If not, options?

Thanks!

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You can buy a March style bracket for about $50.
I'm sure I paid about $100 for alt/ps brackets from eBay or Jegs.

But if you want the Mustang piece, look on the corral.net for an inexpensive one.

The accessories don't care if you're running v belt or serpentine, but you'll want to check the depth of accessories. this is simple if you order the aftermarket stuff.

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
How about I just go 1 wire alternator.... No brackets, 100-160amps and about same cost as brackets?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How about I just go 1 wire alternator.... No brackets, 100-160amps and about same cost as brackets?
There is a different style Delco alternator that is better if you do much low RPM stuff. The one wire alt only senses above a certain RPM, the one with a two wire connector senses when the key is on.

They are common in both GM cars/trucks and farm equipement. It is our go-to alt when we update the older equpment with a generator to an alternator charging system. Tractors/combines are usually governed at or below 2k rpm (especially the ones we convert) so at WOT they are right at the bottom of when the one wire starts to do anything.

They are also cheap and simple to rebuild yourself if you are so inclined as well. If I wasn't so in love with my Explorer setup it is probably what I would have on mine. :icon_thumby:

I don't know what amperage they run stock (guys run all sorts of lights with them) but like anything GM I am sure you can build them up how you want them.

Last edited:

BronKitis

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Spoke with a gentleman who is going to refurbish a Ford 3G alternator for me and convert it to a 1 wire. 160A and will generate 75A at 900 RPM which should work perfect! All for a whopping 86 doll hairs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals