• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil pump drive shaft legnth problems

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought a hei distributor to use on my swap. Prob is the stock 96 distributor is 1" longer after the gear. I need a 8.5" oil pump driveshaft. Anyone knw where i could actually get a confirmation on legnth of one before ordering?every website ive been on has prices but no specifics on legnth. Im not wanting to buy 4 or 5 shafts before i get one that works. I need this truck goin in nxt 4 days. This is my only set back

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And for those who think it dont make a diff it does. Ive got a block with a hole in it frm not enough oil pressure. Zero most likely. I didnt have a manual guage at the time. The hei just doesnt get enough contact on the oil pump. I might get 3/16 contact. And ive already blew one motor up with this problem. I have to have longer oil pump shaft than 7.5".a 8.5 would put me with excellent contact

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I bought a hei distributor to use on my swap. Prob is the stock 96 distributor is 1" longer after the gear. I need a 8.5" oil pump driveshaft. Anyone knw where i could actually get a confirmation on legnth of one before ordering?every website ive been on has prices but no specifics on legnth. Im not wanting to buy 4 or 5 shafts before i get one that works. I need this truck goin in nxt 4 days. This is my only set back
I found this post on line. Might be worth checking the length at a parts store before you buy.

The answer is the oil drive shaft for a FE motor is the same diameter as the 302 and it is 8.5" long.
Car quest Part 601-1403

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Right now I'm running what came with my engine and in also running an hei dizzy. I'm nut sure though if there are differences between the dizzys though. I got mine off a seller on eBay who goes by the name skipwhite.

Also what is FE engine?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
FE is Ford's 60's big (?medium?) block: 330-332-352-360-361-390-391-406-410-427-428
361, 391 denote steel crank.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What drive shaft did you use, got a part number? As far as I know, Ford only had one length for their SBF drive shafts. After market has the shoulders at either end placed at different distance, maybe causing shaft to bottom out before full engagement.
Dave

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
None of the parts store in my area or surrounding areas have them on hand to confirm legnth. And they tell me the computer dnt tell them the legnth.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a 94 f150. I put a hei distributor in it. Blew it up due to no oil pressure. Had 2.5 miles on it. So i bought a used 96 f150 efi motor. Pulled distributor to examine shaft legnths as i dnt have the 94 any more. The 96 stock distributor is 1 inch longer than that of the hei below the gear. I had used the stock oil pump shaft on the 94 and boom. So this time i checked everything. My shaft doesnt go into distributor hardly at all. So i need one to compensate the shaft difference or do i have to buy the hei with the longer shaft?

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The shaft was stock. On both engines. But as i said. The efi distributors have a 1 in longer shaft than that of the hei after the gear. Il post pictures tonight after work to be more detailed. Ive looked and looked online. Id like to knw the legnth of a shaft before i bought one. Nowhere ive been on tells u a legnth. Just diameter and metal type.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a picture of the bad drive shaft, did it have shoulders on either end? You said earlier that you had a hard time getting the distributor down to the top of the block, how far was that, did you really have to force it?
Dave

Last edited:

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dnt have a pic at the moment. Il post one after work when i get to shop. The shaft is smooth hex aside frm the clamp on it close to distributor.on the 94 when i installed hei it was tight but once lined up it slid right in. Problem was it didnt have enough contact area frm oil shaft to distributor. I think the reason it was even tight was due to oil shaft not being lined up with distributor shaft at first. But after a little playing it would slide in and out with ease. I havent installed the hei on my 96 yet. After seeing the shaft differences i started lookin online for longer shaft.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its not that the shaft is bad. Its just to short for hei distributor.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The hei distr had 1/2 in shorter shaft below gear than stock distr. then the new oil pump i had bought seat where the shaft sat was 3-16 deeper than that of the original. So in all i lost 1/16 shy of 3/4 in of contact when goin to hei. To solve this problem i purchased a new hei from whitesperformance that has the 1 1/2 in shaft like stock distrib below the gear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals