• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help***302 swap------- bell housing

Cam10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
Long story short, I'm acquiring parts for a 302 swap in my 89 ranger 4x4. Now I have gone through the v-8 swap pages in the library and have managed to boggle myself.

From what I have read, it's recommended that I use the 157 tooth bell housing, regarding clearance issues between body and trans (c-4). That's great n' all. But in another section, I read that in the event that I keep my stock five speed trans, I could use a standard size f-150 bell housing with an adapter plate/kit and a body lift.

Is there any difference in depth/length between a 157 tooth bell housing and the standard size truck bell housing? or is the decision maker simply a 3 inch body lift?

Any help would be great.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
You would be high on crack to spend a dime on an adapter to keep the stock 5speed

If you insist on buying some adapter, and if you insist on having a 5 speed, use a 302 f150 5speed, with the advance adapters kit to use that trans with the stock t-case

But I say neither, the stock trans, nor t-case is worth being behind a v6, much less a v8

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Some B2's came with c5 trans and with a bell housing swap, you could bolt a 5.0 to it but that's as close to bolt up as you will get.

The stock trans will last about 10 minutes with a 5.0 in front of it before it becomes a pile of scrap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You would be high on crack to spend a dime on an adapter to keep the stock 5speed

If you insist on buying some adapter, and if you insist on having a 5 speed, use a 302 f150 5speed, with the advance adapters kit to use that trans with the stock t-case

But I say neither, the stock trans, nor t-case is worth being behind a v6, much less a v8
The 97-08 4.2 V6 M5OD has the shifter in a much better location than the 302 transmissions.

You could buy several fullsize t-cases for what they want for that adaptor to keep the stock t-case. Not a good investment. I haven't had any problems with my 1350 but I didn't spend $400 just for the adaptor either. It was about $150 for a fixed output NP208 at a JY for when I track down an M5OD though.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
^^exactly what I said. if you for some reason "insist on buying and an adapter"

the most widely-accepted way is to use a v8 engine, v8 transmission, and v8 transfer case, and modify floor-holes for shifters, cross-members, and driveshafts accordingly

in fact the best way is to go buy a $700 beater '80s f-150, use the engine, tranny, engine management, radiator etc. and whatever widgets/doo-dads you need to complete your swap. and then scrap it for $300, or part it out for a profit

if you get a TFI 5.0 truck. you can even literally solder 2 additional injector connectors into the stock 1989 2.9l harness, and plug in the 5.0 ECM and most (if not all) of the connectors/sensors in the harness are all the same. so it is a simple as heck wire-job

Cam10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
So a bit of an update. I tracked down a guy that's selling a 302 efi married to a tranny with a t-case. Now it came as a spare setup with his 92 bronco when he originally brought the truck. the motor is no good and He says doesn't know which tranny it is.

Is there any chance it could be a c-5 or anything that i could use in my swap.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
A 92 FSB? Doubtful it's a c5. More likely an AOD

Cam10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
well anyhow, I am going to look at a bronco ll tomorrow night. Might have the c5 that I have been looking for.Regardless my question still stays the same. Could I use a full size bell housing with my 3 inch body lift?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals