• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trans removal advise

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i searched for a few days now, but there is too much a4ld threads to look thru lol. i have a 94 supercab 4x4 with 4.0 and a4ld trans, i need to swap in a new trans, my question is, i know i have to remove both driveshafts, speedo cable and shifter cable, is there any threads on what to remove to get the t-case off? also after taking the t-case off do i just unbolt the trans off the engine and pull out? does the converter stay on the trans or engine? i have a 3" bl so i am hoping i dont need to remove the exhaust

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
comment: drain everything first.

there are about 5 bolts between the TC and tranny they come off first after driveshaft at tranny end. gently pry the cases apart a little bit then get a jack under the TC, bloody thing is HEAVY.

support tranny and yank crossmember bolts, pull trans mount bolts, remove crossmember. Lower trans about 4" so you can get to the top engine bolts with a 4 FOOT long extension. the bell housing is a pain to get by the exhaust.

torque converter is attached to the flywheel, and has to be unbolted so it goes with the tranny. I pull the starter to make the access to the bolts easier.

have fun. process takes about 2 hours perhaps 4 the first time, and DON'T FORCE STUFF. if it doesn't go, it isn't undone.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
comment: drain everything first.

there are about 5 bolts between the TC and tranny they come off first after driveshaft at tranny end. gently pry the cases apart a little bit then get a jack under the TC, bloody thing is HEAVY.

support tranny and yank crossmember bolts, pull trans mount bolts, remove crossmember. Lower trans about 4" so you can get to the top engine bolts with a 4 FOOT long extension. the bell housing is a pain to get by the exhaust.

torque converter is attached to the flywheel, and has to be unbolted so it goes with the tranny. I pull the starter to make the access to the bolts easier.

have fun. process takes about 2 hours perhaps 4 the first time, and DON'T FORCE STUFF. if it doesn't go, it isn't undone.

so i cant just leave the tc on the flywheel and put the new trans in? do you have an estimate on how much the trans without the transfer case weighs?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I am pretty sure the TC has to be unbolted from flywheel before you pull the tranny. And you have to remove the starter to unbolt the TC from the flywheel.

Also. It hasn't been mentioned yet here but. the Y pipe will Most likely be in your way in the attempt to pull the tranny. Some people have done it with alot of wiggling. I didn't manage it.

Since the bolts holding the y pipe on will most likely snap. Mine did! And cause you unending headaches trying to drill out the snapped off bolts.

Remove the bolts holding the cab down on the passenger side and loosen the bolts on the drivers side a inch or so. then jack the cab up on the passengerside 2-4 inches which will give you clearance.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I am pretty sure the TC has to be unbolted from flywheel before you pull the tranny. And you have to remove the starter to unbolt the TC from the flywheel.

Also. It hasn't been mentioned yet here but. the Y pipe will Most likely be in your way in the attempt to pull the tranny. Some people have done it with alot of wiggling. I didn't manage it.

Since the bolts holding the y pipe on will most likely snap. Mine did! And cause you unending headaches trying to drill out the snapped off bolts.

Remove the bolts holding the cab down on the passenger side and loosen the bolts on the drivers side a inch or so. then jack the cab up on the passengerside 2-4 inches which will give you clearance.

thanks for the advice, so the only way to access the torque converter bolts is thru the starter hole huh? i am hoping that since everyone seems to jack the cab up to get the clearance to get the trans out, that my 3" body lift will be enough but if not i will jack the cab up, those bolts are not going to unscrew lol, the truck has 250,000 on it

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the only way is through the starter hole. use the crank on the front of the engine to rotate the engine to the next bolt on the TC. Pretty sure it only has 4. 10mm.

And if you have a 3 inch body lift you may not have any trouble lifting the tranny over the Y pipe.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so i cant just leave the tc on the flywheel and put the new trans in? do you have an estimate on how much the trans without the transfer case weighs?
No. If the torque converter is pulled from the transmission, it needs to be 'clicked'/shifted/rotated back into place onto the input shaft. If it is not properly seated in the transmission, it will not be seated properly in the pump and will ruin the trans.

I picked up an AOD to put on my transmission jack, if I had to guess (no torque converter and not much fluid), around 100lbs. Torque converter from my 2.9L probably weighed 30-40lbs.

Should be an access plate for the torque converter nuts in the inspection plate.

Autos are easy for the most part, but lining up the torque converter studs back into the flexplate can be tricky while putting it back in. Definitely put a new filter in the donor trans if used IMO.

Pete

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
No. If the torque converter is pulled from the transmission, it needs to be 'clicked'/shifted/rotated back into place onto the input shaft. If it is not properly seated in the transmission, it will not be seated properly in the pump and will ruin the trans.

I picked up an AOD to put on my transmission jack, if I had to guess (no torque converter and not much fluid), around 100lbs. Torque converter from my 2.9L probably weighed 30-40lbs.

Should be an access plate for the torque converter nuts in the inspection plate.

Autos are easy for the most part, but lining up the torque converter studs back into the flexplate can be tricky while putting it back in. Definitely put a new filter in the donor trans if used IMO.

Pete
thanks for the info, so does it only go on one way like a key? can i leave the torque converter on until i get the trans out then unbolt it and put it on the trans before installing it?

i got a donor trans w/converter, should i use or are they matched to the transmissions? mine is a 94 and the trans is out of a 91 explorer

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
ok so yesterday i stopped being lazy and took the torque converter bolts out, only thing i have left is the bellhousing bolts left to take out, they are in there good, do these have factory loctite on them? how much heat can the aluminum take, i intend on heating it using a regular propane torch to try to heat the loctite

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Just use PB Blaster. Works every time.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Just use PB Blaster. Works every time.
i put a ton of it on, they just refuse to budge lol, maybe a few more days of it sitting they will break loose, i had two wrenches together for leverage and used my foot and they didnt move

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
I have had bell housing bolts so stuck it took a 30" breaker bar to get them loose. The bolts do NOT have factory locktight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals