• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mitsubishi FM145 and 4.0

deadatmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I seem to be having difficulties finding much info on my 85 Bronco II 4x4 Eddie Bauer. From what I understand, in this table (http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html) it says rangers in the year of my bronco II have the manual FM145, so I'll assume that means Bronco II also. I've got the 2.8l of course. The motor is about due for all new gaskets. So I could just keep my 2.8, regasket it and be done with it.

Or, I could potentially try and trade/sell a really nice dirt bike trailer I have to get an early 90s Explorer. So that way I can beef up axles and swap the 4.0. My issue is, I can't find anything about putting a 4.0 behind my transmission. I want to keep my current trans/tcase so I only have to deal with shortening the front drive line. And I want to avoid putting in an electric tcase too.

Anyone have any thoughts? If there is information on this, please let point me in the right direction.

Thanks for having a look:icon_bounceblue:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is an article in the tech section that works wonders for IDing transmissions based on shape and measurement.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html

Now to answer your question: chances are that a 4.0 will blow up a FM145, 146, or 132. Your best bet is to find a M5OD if you plan to do a 4.0/MT combo.

Remember also that if you do the 4.0 swap and put the D35/8.8 under your B2, that your B2 will donate only it's body and frame. Sounds like if you follow through on the 4.0 that you plan to get a full donor. Best idea ever.

Keep us posted :icon_thumby:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, there are those that read and say oh no it cant be done itll blow sky high, and then there are those that have done it, I HAVE DONE IT, in a 91 explorer 4 door, the fm 145 will hold up just find behind a 4.0, just make sure you keep the fluid level topped off and clean. i did one of these swaps last november for a friend of mine that for lack of a better phrase best the shit out of his vehicles. You are going to have alot of advantages with the 145 behind the 4.0 if u run the calculator for the gears you will find the steeper geared transmission the 145 vs the m50d will be akin to the difference between 4.10's and 3.73's you will have just that much more grunt.

MAKE SURE MAKE SURE MAKE SURE if u do this u spend the money on a GOOD clutch and good flywheel and it will be a blast to drive and be nice to you for as long as u are nice to it. you can either use your existing stuff if u have a good one(in his case we did, new flywheel with zoom racing clutch) he has not even been able to slip the clutch at all

There is an article in the tech section that works wonders for IDing transmissions based on shape and measurement.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html

Now to answer your question: chances are that a 4.0 will blow up a FM145, 146, or 132. Your best bet is to find a M5OD if you plan to do a 4.0/MT combo.

Remember also that if you do the 4.0 swap and put the D35/8.8 under your B2, that your B2 will donate only it's body and frame. Sounds like if you follow through on the 4.0 that you plan to get a full donor. Best idea ever.

Keep us posted :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals