• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rusty Version 2.0, what i found...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your AutoZone must be different than my AutoZone(s) - the store in town will NOT price match ANY online retailer (I may have abused the privilege) and the Spearfish store that is 45 minutes away will only do certain items, basically exact part and warranty plus shipping.
O'Reilly's used to, then they decided they needed a new manager. Now I am surprised they can find the door, they are pretty helpless.

Seems like the past few years all ive done is battle with vehicles, mainly my 97. Which is irritating because i bought it with a paltry 62k on the ticker. The 460s reliabilty is not all its cracked up to be, but to its credit i got a feeling it was overheated like crazy before i got it. But now after head gaskets, block flush, and a rebuild of the bottom end i think its sorted out.
That is the fun of buying an older truck with unknown history.

Dad's '96 with 192k on it is a beast, he was hauling big round bales on the flatbed last weekend.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
O'Reilly's is terrible, but they are my go-to for radius arm bushings since changing to rubber instead of polyurethane, and low oil switch plugs for 4.0's. Haha

460's seem to be finicky engines. So much potential but so heavy and choked with smog equipment. I've dealt with three, one that shattered a piston and put several holes through the block, another that had power for days but literally burned a case of oil between changes, and my old '85 that was mostly reliable but didn't have a ton of power. I think the 2v 5.4's and both V10s that replaced the 460s were far better power plants.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I had a couple 5.4s, reliabilty wise they are great, powerwise they were no where near a 460.

I drove a few V10s, they seem to also be reliable, and stouter then a 460 for power once you get over 60, untill 60 id say its a toss up.

That being said in a few years when its time to replace the 97, ill pry be looking at V10s, preferably with a 6sp :)

I quit buying from o reiley cause it seemed like i had to always buy two because the first part always failed

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Got some new dirt boots for the ol gal today...

Discount tire cheapos, "GTradial touring", pry wont be good in the snow, but eh we'll see.

Atleast they aint dryrotted, now i gotta fix the water leak into the cab issue (think i got it pinned down to windsheild seal/door seal)

One question though, the drivers door is a PITA to get open if you shut it tight, are the latches adjustable? Or is there another way to go about it? Door doesnt seem saggy.

After the windsheild i need to order a trailer harness and put a 2 inch bumper ball on, still debating if i wanna order a frame mounted hitch, the bumper is solid (im 300 lbs and jumped on it, never budged), and i dont plan on pulling anything heavy, but i would like to tow my 4 wheeler on my 6x10 trailer.

400 miles and counting :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a couple 5.4s, reliabilty wise they are great, powerwise they were no where near a 460.

I drove a few V10s, they seem to also be reliable, and stouter then a 460 for power once you get over 60, untill 60 id say its a toss up.

That being said in a few years when its time to replace the 97, ill pry be looking at V10s, preferably with a 6sp :)

I quit buying from o reiley cause it seemed like i had to always buy two because the first part always failed
Don't discount a 5.4 in a SD, for towing they don't play fair compared to a F-150. My F-150 is much snappier and more fun to drive than the '04 F-250 here at work with the same engine... but the '04 is just kind of like an ox. It is kind of slow running empty and we haven't found anything to tie on the back to really make it run any slower, it just takes everything in stride. It is weird :icon_confused:

I have heard that the 6 speed is geared wonky for a 6.8 compared to the 5 speed, I have never driven either. A 2V 6.8 is in for a pretty good fight with a 460, the 3V will clean house.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't discount a 5.4 in a SD, for towing they don't play fair compared to a F-150. My F-150 is much snappier and more fun to drive than the '04 F-250 here at work with the same engine... but the '04 is just kind of like an ox. It is kind of slow running empty and we haven't found anything to tie on the back to really make it run any slower, it just takes everything in stride. It is weird :icon_confused:

I have heard that the 6 speed is geared wonky for a 6.8 compared to the 5 speed, I have never driven either. A 2V 6.8 is in for a pretty good fight with a 460, the 3V will clean house.

All the V10s ive drivin have been 2V. My buddy used to have one, an 01 supercab long box 2wd, auto, pretty comparable to my 97 460. We never 1/4 miled them, but i would guess what little bit my 460 woulda gained on it out of the hole woulda been made up by the V10 toward the end, so we woulda been neck and neck.

Only thing that would bother me about a V10 over the 460 (talking 2Vs here) would be it spinning 4k+ with my camper up the same hill my 460 would pull at 2500. The 460 has such a smooth power to it, its not revvy, which i like.

The 6sp trucks ive driven bothered me because the pattern was so tight. But, im used to 4sps. Im sure id get used to it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals