• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code and Stumbling

Sour Grapes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Three.Zero
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a 2004 Mazda B3000 2WD on Sunday with my girlfriend. Very nice truck; ran great and super sharp looking. I drove it 1.5 hours home with no issues at all. Today, however, I drove it 40 min away to my buddy's house so he could help put my hitch and tonneau cover on, and the check engine light came on. In between 1,200 and 2,250 RPM, it also seemed to stumble/buck/jerk.

I noticed that it was during light to moderate acceleration that this happened. I could floor it and it wouldnt be an issue. Once I got to my buddy's place, he threw his scanner on it, and it came up with one code; P0430. Apparently this is poor performance of the catalytic converter in the left (driver) bank behind the cat. I googled and it said to replace the o2 sensor. Replaced the sensor and cleared the codes. So far, the light hasn't come back on but it still bucks/jerks/stumbles. I also feel that it is not quite performing. The air filter looks clean, the plugs are like new, the fuel filter has been changed. I see absolutely no restrictions in the intake area etc. Any suggestions? My buddy and I are thinking CATs.

Sorry about the novel guys; I try and be as descriptive as possible. Cheers!

Sour Grapes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Three.Zero
Transmission
Manual
well, it turns out that the P0430 code did not return-this time. I had a cracked coil, and the spark plug wires were switched between 5-6?? I havent even touched the truck under the hood, aside from checking the oil and adding washer fluid.
i took the truck to quebec, and on my return trip, the CEL returned. I drove the 820km home under a watchful eye, and no issues driving-wise. I brought it to Ford today, and P0430 code pulled up again. Tests so far say my cats are good. Any ideas?

Sour Grapes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Three.Zero
Transmission
Manual
so i finally got an answer..the cat IS screwed on my truck. Since i Just bought it, I dont have to pay for it (PHEW). Ford's part is $1483 :shok:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Before you throw a new cat at it, realize that there is or has been an underlying issue that cooked the original cat, I would investigate this a bit further for the real cause.

JP02XLT

Sour Grapes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Three.Zero
Transmission
Manual
ya i found the coil was cracked and the dealer switched the spark plug wires for cylinders 5 and 6 :annoyed:

its going back into the shop this week to get fixed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals