• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to remove glass

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I just got an aluminum truck cap for my truck the other day. The side window is missing the glass. I kind of have an idea on how to remove the glass but haven't had a chance to mess with it. Anyone here replace glass on one of these? I can get the glass locally and cut to size. I just need to know what's the best way to get the new glass in there. It is an older Galaxie truck cap made in Elkhart, IN. I can't find any information on these online either. I am going to show one of our RV techs when I go to lunch and see what they think. I know they can figure it out but i'd like to know before hand so I can just go get the glass cut and installed on lunch.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks like maybe the rubber seal holds it in place. Hard to tell though. Some windows like this are held in place by the frame, maybe one section of it comes off so that the glass can be slipped in?

If nothing else you could get the glass cut to size and use windshield urethane to glue it in place.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah just talked to one of our techs about it. he said drill the rivets out for the handle, and remove the screws at the top then tap it out with a mallet. Sounds easy enough. Just got to get the glass cut to size.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I normally just replace any broken glass with lexan. Easier than dealing with glass.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was actually able to get the exact piece cut to size for less than $5. that's like a broken drum, you cant beat it. lol. now I just have to get the window installed and sealed. the other window has really thin rubber. I am just going to use butyl tape and cut off the excess. should work great. once I get this window done the cap will be finished. not sure if I want to remove my ladder rack and tool box to put this on or just mount it to the trailer until I need it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals