• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What size fullsize for towing?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
However, using that piece of flesh lodged between your ears may hurt, but can actually work! For the most part, a load and rig isn't safe or dangerous by its setup, but by the driver of the setup.
And dumb luck of what happens along the way.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
However, using that piece of flesh lodged between your ears may hurt, but can actually work! For the most part, a load and rig isn't safe or dangerous by its setup, but by the driver of the setup.
I disagree with your statement. You can hook up any size trailer to any size truck but it doesnt make it safe regardless of the driver, or how smart they may think they may be. All trucks have limits. People seem to think that because a truck CAN pull something, means its okay to haul it. BRAKING is a much larger issue, and a smaller truck that simply does not have the braking power to bring a heavy load to a stop is DANGEROUS.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i prefer a 3/4 ton myself if for no other reason than the bigger brakes that you get. engine wise somewhere in the 350-400 cid range works, 3.73-4.10 gears. ive always prefered a creeper 1st manual, but theres something to be said for a automatic. sure diesel is nice but one i could afford would be about wore out. the only reaason id stay away from a 1 ton is the licence regestration, last i knew of a 1 ton was considered a comercial regestration and was 80/year. a ranger through 3/4 ton is around 45/year. i dont think theres much of a difference overall between a 3/4 vs 1 ton. if i needed dual rear wheels, id just swap a bed & rear axle over from a 1 ton and go that route. no my dad has recently upgraded from a '94 F250 351 to a '05 superduty 250, has the 5.4 , 3.73's, auto, 4wd. it looks really good on paper as far as capabilitys, im curiuos to see how it does in the real world. hes got the plow kit on it already and is waiting on towing mirrors then he can pull his 28' bumper pull travel trailer. prevoiusly he pulled it with a '96 351 bronco with 3.55's & a E4OD. aside from the ugly 17" steel wheels and it being a regular cab, i kinda like the new truck.

Last edited:

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I disagree with your statement. You can hook up any size trailer to any size truck but it doesnt make it safe regardless of the driver, or how smart they may think they may be. All trucks have limits. People seem to think that because a truck CAN pull something, means its okay to haul it. BRAKING is a much larger issue, and a smaller truck that simply does not have the braking power to bring a heavy load to a stop is DANGEROUS.
That's why I used the quantifier "for the most part." Of course there are absolute physical limits of things.

Braking wise, the trailer should be providing it's stopping power for its own load. If the truck has to make up for it, then its either a poor trailer or a poor operator of the trailer and its brake controller. Push from the trailer is a far greater concern, but this is handled through a proper hitch setup.

But you can't be cool without a diesel pickup in your yard to pull around a 7,000 pound car hauler that never grosses over 6k on it with their Mustang they pull with it.

I get a kick out of these arguments on a site for a vehicle platform that was known for being susceptible to roll overs. Of course, it wasn't the vehicle itself that was anymore dangerous than the rest, but the driver that didn't understand that you can't drive an SUV like a compact car.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i prefer a 3/4 ton myself if for no other reason than the bigger brakes that you get. engine wise somewhere in the 350-400 cid range works, 3.73-4.10 gears. ive always prefered a creeper 1st manual, but theres something to be said for a automatic. sure diesel is nice but one i could afford would be about wore out. the only reaason id stay away from a 1 ton is the licence regestration, last i knew of a 1 ton was considered a comercial regestration and was 80/year. a ranger through 3/4 ton is around 45/year. i dont think theres much of a difference overall between a 3/4 vs 1 ton.
Springs, front axle and probably brakes. Here I think trucks are pretty universal as far as just a tag, but you have to register it for what you haul. A couple years when we were tractor pulling a 10k license on the '80 F-350 was $300/year.

That's why I used the quantifier "for the most part." Of course there are absolute physical limits of things.

Braking wise, the trailer should be providing it's stopping power for its own load. If the truck has to make up for it, then its either a poor trailer or a poor operator of the trailer and its brake controller. Push from the trailer is a far greater concern, but this is handled through a proper hitch setup.

But you can't be cool without a diesel pickup in your yard to pull around a 7,000 pound car hauler that never grosses over 6k on it with their Mustang they pull with it.

I get a kick out of these arguments on a site for a vehicle platform that was known for being susceptible to roll overs. Of course, it wasn't the vehicle itself that was anymore dangerous than the rest, but the driver that didn't understand that you can't drive an SUV like a compact car.
6k is still more than a Ranger is rated to haul, and if you do haul your Mustang all over the country the right diesel will beat the tar out of a gasser for milage. Especially a little Ranger fighting for its life. Both trucks have their place, but heavy or even alot of moderate towing isn't the Ranger's.

Bigger brakes, heavier springs, heavier powertrain, more heft and wider stance for more stability are all things I like about a fullsize over a Ranger for towing and hauling. And to add insult to injury, they get about the same milage.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I tow for a living......... Seen alot of wrecks where the tow vehicle was too small. That being said I used my 2000 tacoma to pull 8000 pounds on a regular basis til its lease was up...... I still want a 1 ton dually...... Not for the cool factor but for the wheel base, stability, and braking duty....... Plus..... A ranger isn't going to pull that skidsteer over vail pass.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Springs, front axle and probably brakes. Here I think trucks are pretty universal as far as just a tag, but you have to register it for what you haul. A couple years when we were tractor pulling a 10k license on the '80 F-350 was $300/year.

6k is still more than a Ranger is rated to haul, and if you do haul your Mustang all over the country the right diesel will beat the tar out of a gasser for milage. Especially a little Ranger fighting for its life. Both trucks have their place, but heavy or even alot of moderate towing isn't the Ranger's.

Bigger brakes, heavier springs, heavier powertrain, more heft and wider stance for more stability are all things I like about a fullsize over a Ranger for towing and hauling. And to add insult to injury, they get about the same milage.
Uh, I know all these things. I wasn't saying he should get a Ranger, but that he doesn't need such a big truck for the weight and frequency of his pulling.

OP was asking about pulling around a pick up and occasionally a small tractor and skid steer. A half ton will do the job just fine, and get better MPG empty than a 3/4 gasser will do. A diesel could be similar MPG empty, but then you have higher initial cost, high fuel prices, higher maintenance cost. Yes, you do get more truck, at a higher cost.

I bought my Ranger when I wasn't planning on doing a lot of towing. But then I had to pull a lot of stuff as things changed, and didn't have the money to upgrade trucks. So, I made do with what I had (and still have). Hindsight shows I should have had at least a half ton truck, preferably a 3/4 ton, but the Ranger worked well and didn't have to pay for another vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals