• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All Coolants Are NOT Created Equal

Darvious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I'm new to the forums, but I feel the need to vent a little bit before I do something stupid. Here's a little story, the moral being DIY!

It all started with a knocking from the front end drivers side. Bad ball joint I guessed. Took the truck to a known hack of a mechanic, because he owes me some favors. After replacing my inner tie-rod and upper ball joint, he decides to top off my fluids. I thought this was odd, but hey, the guy owes me some favors, right? He puts orange antifreeze into my radiator. I asked him, "Are you sure that's the right stuff? The color is different." He replies, "Oh, yeah, it's universal."

On my way home from the shop, my truck overheats. I spend an hour stopping, waiting, driving a little, stopping, waiting, and bring it back. "Looks like you have a blown head gasket."

So 5 weeks later, my head gasket is repaired, truck is put back together, and I ask, "So why did it overheat?"
His reply? "Because you had a blown head gasket."
"Yeah, but what caused it to go bad?"
"Oh, they go bad over time." B.S.!! The blown head gasket was a symptom, it wasn't the problem, but, whatever...

I ask him, "Did you flush the radiator?"
"Oh yeah, don't worry. All new antifreeze."

I get in my truck, start it up and drive it out of the shop. First thing I notice is the front end is still knocking... It's been 5 weeks at this point, so I don't care. I drive it home. When I get home, I open up the coolant reservior... He didn't flush the coolant! It's the same burnt smelling, foamy orange crap he put in there in the first place... Okay... I'll do it myself.

I spend an hour flushing the radiator, top it off with GREEN, and guess what? My truck stopped overheating. Go figure.

While thinking about how I was going to handle this guy, I had to drive the truck with the front end still knocking. Well, I found out last night that my inner tie-rod and upper ball joint was fine 5 weeks ago when he replaced it, because my lower ball joint failed...

I rode my motorcycle to the parts store, bought a Haynes manual, and I am making all of my repairs myself.

Summary of the story, I wasted money on parts I didn't need, this 'mechanic' blew my head gasket by putting the wrong antifreeze in, and I was without a truck for 5 weeks, all because I didn't work on my truck myself.

So the moral of the story is to do your own work on your own vehicle. That hack didn't even tighten the water pump all the way...

Attachments

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for all your problems......

But, coolant problems and selecting the right one is the new oil type and weight question (what goes in there???). You have to use the type the owner's manual says to use or it ain't going to work.

We have three vehicles and they all use different coolants!!!

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I doubt it was the type of coolant.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm with rearanger. The wrong coolant will do some bad things. A blown head gasket in a few miles is not one of them. I'd say you had a problem starting already and driving around with low coolant was probably a big contributing factor. It was just a coincidence that it blew after he topped off your system. Judging by the sludge in your overflow tank I'd say the system has been neglected.

And I'm sorry, the moral of the story you told isn't do the work yourself, it's "don't take your vehicle to a known hack".

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also have to agree with neglected coolant system. Po of my truck used tap water in my engine, caused it to rust turning the propper green coolant orange. Flush after flush I always got rusty orange coolant. Eventually the rust built up and clogged a water passage in my head and Cracked it even though I had flushed it really well multiple times. The color of that coolant looks the same as mine did, along with sludge in coolant tank.

But everything else your guy did was bad. I have one guy that touches my truck, and thats only for state inspection. Everything else is done by me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals