• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 9 Backing Plates Interchangeable?

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've searched through Tech and everywhere on Pirate and here on TRS for this.

I bought my Ford 9" rear without backing plates/drums. I was going to disc conversion, but I'm going to stick with drum. I'm going to go pull the backing plates from a junkyard, but I'm not hopeful finding the 9" rear plates.

According to Oreilly auto, Part # 2677DGS is the rear Drum brake for my 1979 Bronco axle. This same drum is compatible with 205 other Ford vehicles.

Will the backing plates from an 8.8" setup work as long as the drums are from a vehicle on the Compatibility list?

Drums are the 11" x 2 1/4" for my Ford Nine.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The bolt pattern should be the same, but the bolt hole size might be different. The big bearing 9" has bigger bolts on the retainer/backing plate.
Other than that. I have no idea!!

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If anyone is wondering I was able to find a Ford 9 at a different junkyard. Scoot, you already knew since you've been posting on my build thread.

Also, for any that want to know, you can use the 8.8 brakes as long as the pattern matches up and as long as you have the correct drum. Some 8.8s I saw at the junkyard have the backing plate overlapping the edge of the drum. The Ford 9 drum overlaps the backing plate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals